Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

credit karma??

tag
eva322
Established Member

credit karma??

We are in underwriting right now and I just saw a commercial last night on tv about credit karma and no credit card needed to look at your credit score and history...has anyone tried this and will this count against me and bring my score down if I look at my own credit on this site??

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
swtneka
Frequent Contributor

Re: credit karma??

No credit karma will not bring down your score, u can view your score or report as manytimes you want and it wont count against u but just know that credit karma is a fako score. I have credit karma and its ok for the info but i dont rely on the score.

Message 2 of 8
Genkeim
Frequent Contributor

No, looking at your own credit report won't affect your scores at all. 

If you aren't already aware of it you are allowed to pull your reports from all 3 major agancies once a year for free at https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp

NFCU NavCheck $15k | NFCU cashRewards $12.5k | NFCU goRewards $12.5k |AMEX SPG $10k | Citi AA WEMC $6.5k | CSP $5k | Wal-Mart MC $4.5k | US Air WMC $3.9k | Amex Everyday $2k | Amex BCE $2k | Chase Freedom $1k | Discover IT $800
Current Scores:Equifax 697 (myFICO 4/14), TransUnion 699 (Discover 5/14), Experian 754 (Amex 5/14)
Message 3 of 8
MaRain
Regular Contributor

Credit Karma will not lower your score but I have not been able to view my own credit report. The only items that I see listed on their website are open accounts (i.e. you will not be able to view closed collection accounts). 

creditsesame, credit dot com, and quizzle are other free websites that you can use to gauge your credit. Just note that those are not FICO scores and also be careful not to sign up for their paid servcies. 

Back in the garden until 10/2015.

Starting Score: EQ 714, EX 658, TU 691 (pulled by mortgage lender on 10/7/14)
Current Score: EQ 656, EX 660, TU 660 (FAKOS pulled on 3/26/15)
Goal Score: EQ 760, EX 700, TU 760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 8
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Moved to general credit topics
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 5 of 8
Slab
Frequent Contributor

@eva322 wrote:

We are in underwriting right now and I just saw a commercial last night on tv about credit karma and no credit card needed to look at your credit score and history...has anyone tried this and will this count against me and bring my score down if I look at my own credit on this site??

Credit Karma updates your score every seven days and it does not count as an inquiry. Their score is based on Transunion but, my score which I checked today and was updated today shows my score dropped by 11 points to 677. I went ahead and paid the $21.60 to get My Fico Transunion score today and my score had risen by 5 points to 743. This has been the case for me the last 2 years that I have been checking Credit Karma. They are never near the score that FICO reports and they only report open accounts. For a free score, you will not be getting any valuable information.  

Equifax FICO 781, Transunion FICO 821, Experian FICO 807,

810 goal on all three by 3-1-2015
Message 6 of 8
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@eva322 wrote:

Don't overlook prior discussions.  I find CK to be handy for monitoring but keep in mind that its updates are now weekly and the score isn't FICO.  It will not affect your score as it relies on soft pulls.  As stated above, CK doesn't provide credit reports.  If you want a CMS that allows you to pull reports then refer to the thread on the various CMS's.

Message 7 of 8
JonStur
Established Contributor

Plus they now have the feature where they monitor your account activity and report to you daily ala mint and PageOnce. I love this new feature...

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.