Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

credit limit increase

tag
mamabear
New Contributor

credit limit increase

Will asking for a credit limit increase hurt my score?
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: credit limit increase

not always...some times it can help over time. if it brings down your util. %
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

it could if they do a hard pull...
Message 3 of 12
fused
Moderator Emeritus

mamabear wrote:
Will asking for a credit limit increase hurt my score?

Which CCC are you wanting a CLI with?
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I have the same question and read the credit 101 report. It did not say whether asking for an increase will hurt or help (although it did indirectly say that util = bal/limit, so an increase in limit has to be good, correct?) Anyway, i have a 751 score, want to buy a house and want to get into the 760 range to get the best rate. According to myFICO, my amount of new credit is not good (I recently got a costco amex card about 6 months ago.) I had one late payment 4 years ago. My balances are zeroed out and my util is at 1%. Will asking for a credit increase reduce or improve my score? I may need the extra credit since I will be buying lots of stuff for my new house. I have 9 total cards (mostly store cards). I want those extra 9 points!!
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ask for a CLI without a credit pull. ASk them to do it based on your history with the company. This will increase your over all credit limit without an inquiry on your credit report.
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, thanks for the quick reply. I will do that. Also, the myFICO simulator says my best course of action is to pay down my account balances to increase my score to above 760, but my balances are already 0. Is there anything else I can do to raise my score?
Message 7 of 12
TryingVeryHard
Frequent Contributor

Goodluck with your attempt
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you have any loans? Maybe you're at the point where time can only improve your score.
Message 9 of 12
ronq
Regular Contributor

It really depends on the CCC. Some do regular soft pulls that don't count as a hard pull since you have an account with them. I have requested a CLI with my NFCU Visa three times this year and they haven't done a hard pull yet, but I know the do soft pulls almost every month. I think it's their way to keep on eye on if I am getting into trouble or not. Although they've never changed the interst rate on my CC even when my credit went down significantly a couple of years ago.
EX. 780 TU 794.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.