Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

credit payment question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

credit payment question

I have had a capital one secured card, with a $300 credit limit for about 8 months now.  I have been waiting, (with no late payments) for my unsecured card to graduate into an unsecured credit card, with no luck. For the past two months i have been fully paying off my credit card balance about twice a month (which is usually around $250 - Near Max), opposed to making the one monthly minimum payment of $25, thinking that it will boost my credit, I was hoping to get feedback from people with more credit experience, maybe I could better my credit a different way?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
algorithmslave
New Contributor

Re: credit payment question

this is a tough question and the answer is multidimesional. Meaning, there could be several factors invovled here. Since you nearly max this card out every month and pay it off, you should find out when this company reports to the bureaus. Just because you pay off the card, does not mean what appears on your report is a zero balance. 

You can wrap me in your flag, make me say a praise to your creator and make me spend your currency, but remember this, I am a loyal servant to Justice and a Patriot to none. I am free...
Message 2 of 5
GregB
Valued Contributor

I think what you are doing is fine.

You are showing CapOne that you pay your bills in full and that both of you will benefit from a higher limit. Paying the minimum is the exact opposite and proves to them that you don't deserve a CLI or unsecuring the card.

You should NEVER pay interest, or at least pay very little. Paying a minimum payment is usually a bad sign to a lender.

A FICO score is slightly different and your score can possibly benefit from paying the CC down to a very small amount before the statement is generated.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

i appreciate the feedback i will just keep doing that, and hopefully capital one will notice.

thanks!

Message 4 of 5
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

+1

And consider it is Cap1.  Sorry to say but they don't grow.  Use them to get your foot in the credit door.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.