Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

credit score frustrated

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

credit score frustrated

Hello folks....

Thanks to divorce and bankruptcy my credit has been in the basement for years.  I remarried in 1990 and in 1992 was in a position where I thought my only choice was bankruptcy.  Come to find out maybe I should have not listened to that attorney after all.  We went to consumer credit counseling at one point before 1992 and tried to go that route but we did not make enough money to make a consolidated payment to them. 

Fast forward to 2002 and the bankruptcy came off the credit reports.  Fast forward to 2005 and the default student loan was finally satisfied.   All that time I was of the opinion that there was no hope for our credit score/worthiness so why try.  Yes , I had a pretty bad attitude and unfortunatley all that did is make things much worse vs better.  I have learned the hard way that doing something is much better than having a bad attitude and trying to sweep it under the rug. 

Fast forward to 2007 and my wife and I have been trying our darndest to raise that magical Fico score.  Spent 8 months on a letter writing campaign to Equifax and finally got them to remove all the erroneous junk off that report that was either resolved in bankruptcy or just did not belong to us to begin with.  It is amazing how much crap got dumped on us and it did not belong there. 

I think that the highest that our score ever got was around 585.  We were told that if we got to the magical 600 mark that a credit union here would give us mortgage on our first home.  In the last 2.5 years we have done what we can with our limited budget to work on our debt but that train is not moving as fast as I would like it to.  The secured credit card offers changed to unsecured credit card offers and we were able to buy a new vehicle for the first time in our 17 years of marriage. 

Thanks to a dear credit savy friend of mine kicking me in the posterior and helping me with my attitude we have seen the glimpse of the light at the end of the tunnel.  I subscribe to MyFico which is a start I guess since it has helped me to get some much needed education.  I have the Suze Orman books as well. 

I subscribe to the score watch portion of MyFico and I have noticed in 2.5 years that my score has gone up 9 times an come down 8 times.  It is frustrating to me that every time they ding me and reduce the score it always goes down twice as fast as it goes up.  The last time it dropped by 28 points thanks to my credit card being at the limit.  My wife being unemployed and between jobs has not helped things in the least.  Every time my score goes up it goes up by less than 15 points.  Something about this fight just seems to be a tad bit unfair.  In October we are supposed to have some things that have been on our credit report over 7 years fall off so hopefully that will help as well as my getting that cc balance down as well. 
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: credit score frustrated

I'm sorry for the problems that you have/are going through.
I'm sure that the credit guru's on this board will provide some helpful input.
As far as what I know, as long as you continue bringing down the CC balance to increase your utilization as much as you can as well as not be late on any payments and continue to dispute the problems on your CR that does not belong, you will be in the right direction. Continue doing these things described and you'll see your score continue to rise. If you make one mistake you have to start all over again.
It is hard work but it pays off in the end. Good luck to you!
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Try to pay down your CC util to 1 to 9 %. Keep reading on this board. Read everything you can. You can do it. I was at 525 Dec 2005- and was up to 670's before my new Heloc hit and dropped a max of 30 points. However, as I pay on it on time - and I am going to pay more than the amount it will bring my score up.

You CAN DO IT!
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Technopappa   Welcome!!  Your CR  has no BK       you have an auto loan     what CC do you have

Do you have any late payments?

Examp:  Cap1    500/450 this is CL and UTIL (what you owe)

These links might help  the link has abbrevs.  freq.requested thread (loaded with info)

Take your time and ask as many questions as you want!!!!

Message 4 of 5
Chris123nTx
Established Contributor

For years I have had difficulties, primarily due to some pretty extensive medical problems. It wasn't until July of this year though, that I decided to get serious about first, looking at and understanding my scores, and second to start doing something about them. I went from about 590 on July 7 to 689 today. It took constant monitoring and challenging information that either was old, paid off, or just to see if I could get some of the negatives to go away. Some I could, some not. The biggest jump I got in score though was in paying down my credit card debt. I had been running about 50% of my limit, and while that was not hard for me financially, I didn't realize what a big drawback it was to my score. What exactly is happening when your score is lowered? A new application for credit or? So 2 things you can do your best to do: 1) DO NOT apply for any other credit cards. They will only hurt your score making it even harder to get out of the hole, and 2) make paying down your credit card debt priority over going out to eat, or heck even having cell phones or satellite if it takes it. Get it down under 35% and you will see your score rise quite a bit. The further down the better. I am still a project in the works, but I think by the end of the year I should get up over 700. Don't give up - it is worth every bit of the fight. My two cents worth for what it is worth
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.