ansdime

credit score of 578

i am a22 yo student my credit score is currently 578 and I think it is because I have 4 credit lines and they are all at or almost to the limit and i have had several late payments and i also have a deferred student loan and I was going to try and buy a car during the summer of next year but I wanted to know how should I go about paying off these cards should I pay them off all at once or should i do it gradually and does anyone have any pointers on how to raise my credit score because I want to raise it to at least 670 by sept 2008.
Frequent Contributor
SanFranMatt

Re: credit score of 578

Do you have the money to pay off all of your cards right away?  If you do have the money laying around, I would recommend paying it down sooner rather than later.  You'll get a score jump sooner, and save the interest payments.

When did your late payments happen?  Are they for the 4 accounts you currently have open, or are they for closed accounts?  I would send a Goodwill letter (do a search for GW) to the lenders to see if they will delete the late payments from your record.  If they were a while ago and you've been current ever since, then there's a better chance of it working.
ansdime

Re: credit score of 578

I have had at least one late payment of 30 days on all of my credit cards and on one card I had late payment of greater than 90 days and that was at the beginning of this year and the rest of them happened last year

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+