NFCU nCashRewards VISA - $20,000 | NFCU nRewards $10,000
AMEX Costco TrueEarnings $5,000 | AMEX Delta Gold $1,500
Chase SWA VISA $5,000 | Chase Slate $3,500 | Chase Amazon Rewards VISA $3,000
HSN Mastecard $3,500
Message 11 of 14
blondy250
Established Contributor

Re: credit vs. budgeting

"Well personally, I will brag about the things I have.... Having credit cards is a good start to later getting a house, luxury car, etc and then I can brag about those later. "

WOW

Fico 8 12/9/17
Equifax 850, TransUnion 842 10/30/17 , Experian 842 12/11/17 . AAOA 12 years Oldest 20
No inquires since 2014
All credit reports frozen
Fico 8 Equifax Bankcard 866 12/27/16
Message 12 of 14
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@revvystoke wrote:

I see users posting sometimes, commenting on how difficult it must be to have large credit lines and not immediately spend up to the limit 

It wasn't too difficult for me once I understood how utilization impacted my credit.  Having one card balance chased due to prolonged high utilization taught me my lesson.

Message 13 of 14
aubie1kenobie2
Frequent Contributor

For me it was seeing from some relatives how they became slaves to debt and runied their future and their children's futures as a result of living beyond their means and using debt to supplement their income. I have been "debt averse" for a period of time, refusing to buy anything unless it was paid for in cash (which was how I got my first car -- used, mind you). Then I realized that you can't do that with a house or a decent car and that a lot of other things depended on your credit history, so I got started (better late than never). There are definitely tricks and strategies to building a credit history, but the key thing is always making sure you can handle the debt you incur -- you need to have the means to pay it back.

Starting Score: No credit history in July 2013, 663 in August (lender pulled)
Current Score: 773 (Discover FICO), 749 (DCU EQ)
Ultimate goal: Buy a house in 2016!
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.