Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

creditkarma

tag
jackg
Established Contributor

creditkarma

I haven't been using this forum for a while so knowing how quickly things change in our world today I thought I would be better served by asking all of you what the deal is with creditkarma these days?

A young man I know well asked me about them and I want accurate info to give him. He told me that it's free of charge and he's been told there are many advantages to it.

Personally,  I only trust FICO scores and credit reports from the annual credit report site that's free once a year.

FICO scores on November 17, 2014 (prior to applying for and being approved my mortgage)

EX=738
EQ=735
TU=754

FICO scores on March 4, 2015 after being approved for mortgage and buying the home, the mortgage isn't yet reporting.
EX- 689 EQ- 739 TU- 739
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: creditkarma

CK is still free but it's been wigging out on a few folks lately like misreporting of TLs, false alerts, and bad data.

Message 2 of 5
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

CK is generally fine for account reporting (when it works) but as you know the credit score should not be relied on. Annual credit reports is the best source for account info but again don't fall for their "Buy your credit score" offers as they are for consumer education also. I know you can buy the EQ FICO from EQ but it is not the score they try to sell you on their linked site with the annual credit report.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 5
Slab
Frequent Contributor

@jackg wrote:

I haven't been using this forum for a while so knowing how quickly things change in our world today I thought I would be better served by asking all of you what the deal is with creditkarma these days?

A young man I know well asked me about them and I want accurate info to give him. He told me that it's free of charge and he's been told there are many advantages to it.

Personally,  I only trust FICO scores and credit reports from the annual credit report site that's free once a year.

CK is way off base on my score and I have a couple of friends that say the same thing. For accuracy you and your friend will be best served by pulling your FICO scores and CK is supposedly based on the Transunion score which you can get from FICO. I have a hard time convincing my friends to get their FICO scores instead of relying on the free scores out there. Myself, I don't mind paying the price because the FICO will be more accurate as to what the lenders pull. A score on CK could be off by more than 50 points. Good luck getting your friend to pony up the money.

Equifax FICO 781, Transunion FICO 821, Experian FICO 807,

810 goal on all three by 3-1-2015
Message 4 of 5
misscammiej
New Contributor

CK is crazy. I had 3 derogatory marks, and now I have zero (they were all collections) and my score never changed, when I know for a fact it has. It has my score almost 100 pts lower than it should be and has been stuck at the same score for 4 months! 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.