Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

debt management programs

tag
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: debt management programs

Here is the kicker. I was shopping around for a HELOC for her recently and she was denied by a HELOC provider, because she was in the DMP four years ago

I did get a mortgage while I was in the DMP and secured loans are not placed into the DMP, so are you sure there wasnt another reason why she was denied?  Did she try other lenders?
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 21 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all the great tips on here. I dont have any CC issues, but was wondering if DMP's would work with collection accounts? Or do they only do open accounts like CC's or Loans? Thanks
Message 22 of 30
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Marty56:

That is exactly what the lender told me. I think that they were running scared, as there has been a in the HELOC industry. It was extremely difficult back in Aug, Sept to get a HELOC. Lenders were literally changing their guidelines on an hour by hour basis (I mean that literally). Her scores, her D/I, her LTV all were in the guidelines, but they kept adding stips and finally came out with this goofy excuse.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 23 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been on a DMP since April 2005.  I'm managed by CCCS.  I pay an extra $400 per month (on average)...

Anyway, I checked my FICO scores and they are:
Equifax:744
Transunion:745
Experian:765

Message Edited by esshua on 02-06-2008 07:48 PM
Message 24 of 30
Pants
Regular Contributor

I have been on a DMP now for over a year. My Equifax score in November of last year was 476. Today my scores range from 586 to 628. I applied for a mortgage loan and they told me I qualify for a prime rate.. but since the value of homes fell about 20% since last year, I more than likely no longer have the equity to refinance at a better rate..

The lenders I called asked why I was on a DMP.. They told me it wasn't a factor in the decsion but they needed an explanation to put it in my file.

The DMP is helping me out considerably. I had 17 credit card accounts. When you have 17 revolving accounts got too hard to keep track of.. Every card had different due dates, plus when 11 of the cards were bought out by Chase, all the statements looked the same. I would get letters in the mail saying the terms of my Chase account have changed. I didn't know which account. because no account numbers were listed with the letters.

When
Message 25 of 30
Pants
Regular Contributor

I have been on a DMP now for over a year. My Equifax score in November of last year was 476. Today my scores range from 586 to 628. I applied for a mortgage loan and they told me I qualify for a prime rate.. but since the value of homes fell about 20% since last year, I more than likely no longer have the equity to refinance at a better rate..

The lenders I called asked why I was on a DMP.. They told me it wasn't a factor in the decsion but they needed an explanation to put it in my file.

The DMP is helping me out considerably. I had 17 credit card accounts. 17 revolving accounts were too hard to keep track of.. Every card had different due dates, plus when 11 of the cards were bought out by Chase, all the statements looked the same. I would get letters in the mail saying the terms of my Chase account have changed. I didn't know which account. because no account numbers were listed with the letters.

When a statement got lost in the mail, and I didn't catch it.. I got nailed with a $35.00 late fee and kicked to the default rate of 31.99%..

It still is your responsiblity to keep track of the statements and to make sure the payments arrive on time. I have never had a late payment while on a DMP. I now watch my statements like a hawk and I now keep track of everything on spreadsheets..

The DMP is working for me.. I have no problems with it. I still choose to pay the $30.00 a month fee for the service. I have paid off 5 cards since I have been on the program.

A DMP isn't for everybody.. A good DMP should weed out certain people. If you make too much money to where you can afford to make a higher payment on your cards.. You don't need a DMP. If you have a $5,000 card balance at 18% interest.. Increasing your payment from 150 to $200 a month without charging anything can pay that card off in 30 to 35 months. If you can afford that extra $50.00 a month you don't need a DMP.

A good DMP should turn you down if it clearly shows you can't afford to make the payment.

Some cards will not lower your rate or minimum payment, nor will they cooperate with a DMP. My accounts were Dell.. Chase/Bill Me Later, and AMEX... Amex dropped my rate to 9.9% but will not change the due date to be on the program. I have to pay them myself but they still have me under the DMP terms.

Most Chase cards will drop to 6%.. There are a few cards that were recently bought out by Chase that are still using the old company's terms.. Chase/Circuit City only dropped down to 9.9%.. Chase/Bill Me later will NOT cooperate under any circumstances.. Dell is still charging me 33% interest and I have to pay that one myself..

I think Sam's Club only dropped 5%.. The card dropped from 27% to 22%..   Smiley Happy

Message Edited by Pants on 12-31-2007 12:29 PM

Message Edited by Pants on 12-31-2007 12:31 PM
Message 26 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pants, people enter DMP for many reasons.
When I entered into the program, I was in good standing with all my creditors.
I had no baddies on my CRs. no lates.

Message Edited by esshua on 02-06-2008 07:50 PM
Message 27 of 30
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Geeze, esshua, what a nightmare! I'm glad you got in with one of the good guys. What a warning story about universal default. Supposedly some of the companies are starting to back away from this, but I'll believe it when I see it.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 28 of 30
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Generally speaking, it's smart for anyone in these programs to check their online accounts every month to make sure that all the payments have been made in plenty of time.

The only thing that could make me angrier than my making a late payment myself (never again!!!) would be for someone else to whom I entrusted my credit to screw up. Smiley Mad
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 29 of 30
marty56
Super Contributor

Even while you are in the DMP you must take an active role in the managment of your accounts.  I did not do so until the last 6 months that I was in the program and they only bad info on my credit report is the result of not taking an active role.

Had I done so, my scores would be close to 800 right now.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.