Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

debtor collectors calling cellphones

tag
treschic
Frequent Contributor

debtor collectors calling cellphones

not sure if this issue has already been brough up or not, but, apparently in january 2008, a law was passed that allowed for debt collectors to call cellphones and to use predictive auto dialers to phone consumers.  i think previouslly, if the debtor/consumer would be charged for the communication, then that type of communication was illegal, thus they were unable to contact you via cellphone, since you would incur a charge.  but, apparently, this law was reversed, or better yet ammended.  thought this was interesting. 
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: debtor collectors calling cellphones

The FCC clarified that CAs may call your cell phone with autodialed or precorded messages if you gave your 'prior express consent."

Moral of the story:  Do not ever list your cell phone number on a credit card application, as this consitutes giving your consent.

"SUMMARY: In this document, the Commission addresses a Petition for
Expedited Clarification and Declaratory Ruling filed by ACA
International (ACA). Specifically, the Commission clarifies that
autodialed and prerecorded message calls to wireless numbers that are
provided by the called party to a creditor in connection with an
existing debt are permissible as calls made with the 'prior express
consent' of the called party.

Message 2 of 3
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: debtor collectors calling cellphones

I have a new cell number that was never listed on any of the existing collection accounts as I did not have the service at that time.  Do these fall into prior consent?  I do not know how these people are getting my number to begin with.  I did find it listed on my CR and asked that it be removed.

And can a CA leave a non-toll free number for you to call?
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.