cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

delinquent business account guaranteed by us personally.

tag
loriku
Established Member

delinquent business account guaranteed by us personally.

It's gone to a collection agency, I called the man back, and asked for proof of balance due and copy of the form that said we were guaranteeing this.  He emailed me back but did not provide the info I asked for, just threatened a lawsuit if we didn't pay by the next day.  My question is does the FDCPA  apply in this case since it was business credit originally?  The original account is in our business name and has never reported to our personal credit.  We will probably be able to pay this, but not all at once.  Any assistance would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Re: delinquent business account guaranteed by us personally.

Usually, when you PG for business it would not report on your personal CR until it goes bad. You could try DV other than that I am not sure what other protection you have. That is the reason I recommend every who is applying for business credit not give PG, just in case some thing goes wrong with the business you'll be stuck with the business debt obligations. Start with DV and see where it leads you to. Good Luck.
Message 2 of 4
loriku
Established Member

So, are you saying that you believe FDCPA applies in this case?
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately, the protections offered under consumer debt do not necessarily apply to business credit.  What the fine print on this is, I can't say.  You may have to go see an attorney that specializes in contract law.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.