cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

denied for cc for derogatory public record?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

denied for cc for derogatory public record?

i was recently denied for a target cc and when i received the letter from them it said i was denied for derogatory public record, and having too few active accounts. so i pulled all three credit reports and in the public record area there's nothing and it says "no record" what is this and if there's nothing on my credit report than why was I denied because of it? im confused. Any help appreciated. Thank you.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: denied for cc for derogatory public record?

@Anonymous wrote:

i was recently denied for a target cc and when i received the letter from them it said i was denied for derogatory public record, and having too few active accounts. so i pulled all three credit reports and in the public record area there's nothing and it says "no record" what is this and if there's nothing on my credit report than why was I denied because of it? im confused. Any help appreciated. Thank you.

In the letter they should have indicated which credit bureau supplied the report which contained the public record. 

A public record usually means a judgment or a tax lien or some sort.  Do you see anything like that on your reports?

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

It does tell me its from exuifax, and there's absoloutley nothing on my credit report. Should I call exuifax or target?

Message 3 of 14
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It does tell me its from exuifax, and there's absoloutley nothing on my credit report. Should I call exuifax or target?

Where did you pull your reports?

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I would call the creditor and tell them they might have made a mistake.  Tell them you have a copy of your Equifax credit report and there are no public records.  Perhaps they will ask you to fax them a copy to verify it.

Another possibility is that you have a "split" file.  That means you have additional accounts that are on a separate, distinct Equifax credit file.

Do you remember ever being delinquent with taxes or being sued over a debt?

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

experian.com

Message 6 of 14
guiness56
Epic Contributor

You pulled your EQ report from EX?

If that is the case, I would go directly to EQ and pull it.  Since you have been denied credit, you can get it free from EQ.

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

yes i got all three from experian.com.

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

So call target? And no I have never been sued over a debt or owed taxes. And also I spoke to a lender about a week ago who checked my credit wouldn't he have mentioned it if it was on there? I'm so mad and confused over this. I'm trying so hard to build my credit and I feel like any time I'm getting somewhere I get knocked down.

Message 9 of 14
guiness56
Epic Contributor

The 3 in 1 reports you get are not always as accurate as the one pulled directly from the CRA.  That is why I suggest you pull it from EQ.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.