Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

disposition date? disposed? i dont get it

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

disposition date? disposed? i dont get it

my credit report says judgment filed 7/2004.

i check out the index number on the court's website which has a search function and i find the case online.

it says

case status: disposed

disposition date: 09/22/2007

what does this all mean for me?  what is this disposition date and why cant i see anything about it when i go to court?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
donkort
Valued Contributor

Re: disposition date? disposed? i dont get it

It might be good news, actually. 

When a case is "disposed," it means it's resolved in some way.  You should go down to the court or the county clerk in your county and inquire further.  Maybe it means the judgement was "satisfied"?--or maybe it could even mean that it was erased ("expunged") from your court records, or that it was "sealed"?--which means you have to obtain proof from the court or the county clerk that it was "satisfied," "expunged," or "sealed." You shoudl go down to the court or the clerk as soon as possible.

FICO 8: EQ 810; TU 816; EX 822 as of 7/5/2022
Message 2 of 6
donkort
Valued Contributor

I forgot to add:  "satisfied" is not as good as "sealed" or "expunged."  It means you paid the judgement, but that it legally (I believe) remains on your credit report.  I'm not really sure how to get it off, actually, if it's "satisfied"--you should ask the experts here for some advice in this matter. 

If it's "sealed" or "expunged," I don't believe it should be on your credit report at all, as "sealed" implies that it is illegal to make the record public--it should be like you never had the judgement at all. 

FICO 8: EQ 810; TU 816; EX 822 as of 7/5/2022
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

well, the bad news is i didnt do anything with it.  so i cant imagine that they would expunge it.  and i didnt pay it off.  and it wasnt satisfied.  which is why im confused.  i dont now what that word means as per this judgment, but im going to go find out i guess.

thanks for your reply

Message 4 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Date the legal action was disposed of by the court = date the court made its ruling.   If the court issued a  judgment in favor or the plaintiff, the disposal was not a dismissal.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

so is the disposition date when the clock for the judgment starts? or did the clock for the judgment start when judgment was filed?

suppose i have 1 year to bring motion to vacate judgment.

judgment filed 2005.

judgment disposed 2008.

if i wanted to vacate judgment which of the two dates am i basing my motion on? the file date or the disposition date?

i hope disposition date doesnt mean no further action can be brought....id be screwed

Message Edited by musze007 on 11-20-2009 12:55 PM
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.