Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

do I pay the oc or ca?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

do I pay the oc or ca?

I have 3 medical collections I'd like to take care of.

Credit Collections USA
$83.00  
del 10/05

Credit Control
status date 1/07
1st del  4/03

Credit Control
1/07 status date
4/03 1st del

I was thinking of trying a PFD
Should I contact the OC or CA?
Any suggestions?

Thanks! 
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: do I pay the oc or ca?

love2golf wrote:

Should I contact the OC or CA?

In my opinion, always try to OC first. See if they are willing to pull back from CA and accept payment. If they accept payment, pay, and then DV the CA.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Firstly you need to determine who actually owns the accounts. Hopefully the OC does. If that's the case you are in a very strong negotiating position.

And if that's the case, deal ONLY with the OC. Offer to PFD and pif.
Med collections, imo are the easiest collections to be removed.

I posted this 3 days ago to spain, who had similar case to yours. Here's my response to him. It's long so bear with me:

Hi spain246, and welcome to the forum! There's a wealth of information here, and many knowledgeable people to help you get credit healthy.

The answer is.....NO! Do NOT call the collection agency! When you need to correspond with them ONLY do it in writing. Do NOT commit to anything until you totally and perfectly understand your position.

Let me repost a reply I made yesterday in regards to a med collection. Please bear with me:..........................

I was successful in getting 3 med collections removed from my CR's back in October, 2007 by negotiating with the hospital(it was for 3 ER visits for my daughter).

This worked for me, and here's my story. Please bear with me:

In September I pulled all 3 CR's from freecreditreport.com. They showed 3 med collections. I called the CA(yes this is a no no...I know that now), and after looking up my account, I told them that I would pay in full IF and ONLY IF they would delete the entire entry from my CR. They said they'd gladly accept my pif, and would mark the account as PAID. I said not good enough. I don't want it marked PAID, I want it deleted. They told me the only way that can happen is if the hospital instructs them to do so. I said fine and hung up.

I THEN called the hospital, and after 5 minutes of looking up my account, they told me what I owed. I said I would pay in full with a cashier's check, and hand deliver it to them tomorrow, IF and ONLY IF they will instruct the CA to delete the entire entry from my CR.

The CSR who I talked to said she'd have to talk to head of her department at the hospital. I said fine. Call me tomorrow with your answer. She did. YAY! I then said, as a further condition of paying in full IMMEDIATELY, I would like an original duplicate, on hospital letterhead, the letter of instructions to the CA instructing them to delete the entire record from my CR. She agreed.

The next day I took a cashiers check to the hospital, and asked for the letter(for review). She gave it to me...it looked perfect....I then handed my cashier's check to the CSR.

2 weeks later I received a letter from the CA notifying me they have deleted the files from my CR's. The next time I pulled my CR's they were all gone.

Sorry to be so long winded. But hope that helps.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks for the responses.    So in order to find out who owns the acct do I contact the OC (in writing)  correct?   Do I need to ask specifically if they still own this account or can I offer a PFD them and that brings back the ca?  I really appreciate your help!! 
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

In my situation, I called the OC. IMO, and this is my opinion ONLY, just assume that the OC still owns the account, and start negotiating with them based on that assumption.

If they do not own it, they will tell you straight up to deal with CA as they no longer own the acct.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.