Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay buyer claiming unauthorized purchase

tag
Schwartzinator
Frequent Contributor

eBay buyer claiming unauthorized purchase

I sold an item on march 16th to a buyer and promptly shipped it through USPS. Everything went smoothly until July 6th when they filed a dispute for an "unauthorized" purchase. I quickly submitted the tracking information and a statement when I received notification the following morning. Well, as luck would have it due to PayPal's untimely response in handling the case when they did look at it a week later the tracking information could no longer be verified as it had expired from USPS's website due to some 120 day policy. The best part, is that the buyer had left positive feedback both affirming their reciept of the item and their satisfaction with it. The buyer now also has other reports of fraud that have popped up on their feedback and eBay acknowledges this but apparently it's not enough for PayPal as I was just notified yesterday that I had lost the case due to an ineligibility to prove proof of delivery. I've spoken with several different customer service "experts" and they just say the same thing, "I can assure you we will win this case for you". I'm told now that notification has been sent to the buyers financial institution advocating that this was in fact an authorized purchase. I've notified the postal service of mail fraud and filed a claim with the IC3 about the incident. I've also tried to get the postal service to provide the removed tracking information but so far they have not been successful. On top of the charge back I am now also being hit with a $20 fee for PayPal's "losses" for the incident.

Are there any legal options I can pursue against either or ideally both parties? I don't mind incurring costs well above and beyond the value of the item just to **** with PayPal for wasting my time and failing to provide seller protection. At the very least I'll leave that negative balance on the account indefinitely and close my PayPal credit and suspend all further interactions I have with eBay and PayPal.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: eBay buyer claiming unauthorized purchase

If paid by credit card, then you can dispute under the Fair Credit Billing Act if you meet the timeliness provision.

FCBA disputes provide substantial evidentiary provisions.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

That sucks but that's the risk of using eBay.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Remember that eBay is for the buyer and not the seller. Has always been this way. 

Message 4 of 7
JoeLuvsHisCredit
Valued Contributor

OP

I am so very sorry this happen to you.

Message 5 of 7
Schwartzinator
Frequent Contributor

This was finally decided in my favor yesterday. While I could not provide "valid" documentation to prove they recived the item, PayPal finally agreed to take screen shots of my feedback page, the recent fraud negatives on the buyer's page and the USPS confirmation email that came with the shipping label and then forwarded them over to the buyer's financial institution as proof purchase. I swear it was like pulling teeth with these people. 

Message 6 of 7
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Yeah, eBay strongly favors buyers, but in my 12 years on eBay the only fraud I encountered was from buyers.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.