cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

equifax score decrease 10 pts because my usual student loan payment went through?!?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

equifax score decrease 10 pts because my usual student loan payment went through?!?

I'm kind of confused here.

My equifax score dropped 10 pts yesterday because my student loans balance decreased. I did not pay a larger or lesser sum, I just had my auto payment as usual. The student loans are divided into 4 accounts and they each decreased a little bit, That's suppose to be a good thing no?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: equifax score decrease 10 pts because my usual student loan payment went through?!?

Does anyone have any insight or experience with this?

There doesn't seem to be any reason for the score to drop 10 pts and there doesn't seem to be any way to correct this issue. 

Anyone?

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: equifax score decrease 10 pts because my usual student loan payment went through?!?

This is the myfico alert message on one of four accounts. 

DETAILS

COMPANYSALLIE MAE
  • BALANCE
  • $3,381 - $3,353
  • PAST DUE
  • Not Reported
  • STATUS
  • Pays Account As Agreed
  • LAST ACTIVITY
  • 04/01/2015 -  05/01/2015
  • DESCRIPTION
  • Student Loan Fixed Rate - Consumer disputes after resolution Student loan Fixed rate

What does this mean?Dispute this change

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

UPDATE:

Well, I called equifax, called myfico, then equifax again. 

End result, The dispute description was just "verbage" and it didn't actually mean anything since there was no dispute in process. (why this showed up no one knows)

Equifax removed the alerts from their reports and we'll see how it pans out in 7-10 days. 

Fun fact, Equifax score is different than the myfico equifax score. 

Message 4 of 5
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My equifax score dropped 10 pts yesterday because my student loans balance decreased. I did not pay a larger or lesser sum, I just had my auto payment as usual. The student loans are divided into 4 accounts and they each decreased a little bit, That's suppose to be a good thing no?

This is a very common topic here.  You have to be careful relying on the alerts.  Alerts are generated based on trigger activity.  Not all activity with a scoring impact triggers an update.  If you're going to rely on the alerts and score updates then you need to understand the triggers.

http://myfico.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/463/~/understanding-what-triggers-fico%C2%AE-3-bureau-credit-monitoring-and-fico%C2%AE-identity

If you want to determine the cause for any score change you have to carefully review reports from before and after the change.  You cannot determine the cause by relying only on alerts and scoring updates.

@Anonymous wrote:

Fun fact, Equifax score is different than the myfico equifax score. 

They're different scoring models.

http://www.equifax.com/equifax-credit-score/

The credit scores provided under the offers described here use the Equifax Credit Score, which is a proprietary credit model developed by Equifax. The Equifax Credit Score is intended for your own educational use. It is also commercially available to third parties along with numerous other credit scores and models in the marketplace. Please keep in mind third parties are likely to use a different score when evaluating your creditworthiness. Also, third parties will take into consideration items other than your credit score or information found in your credit file, such as your income.

Even with FICO there are a number of different scoring models used by creditors.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/The-many-flavors-of-FICO-Editions-versions-and-variations/td-p/1197617

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.