Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ex-GF got fraudulant CC

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

ex-GF got fraudulant CC

My BF's ex-GF got a preapproved card in the mail for him and opened an account with her address. We pulled his FAKO's through TC the other day so we could look at his CR and see that there is a chargoff on that card. She is the mother of his child so filing a fraud charge against her is not in his son's best interest. Any ideas on how we could handle this? I assume PFD, but I'm wondering if there is a legal way to remove this without landing his ex in jail or paying the bill she racked up. Anyone had a similar situation?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: ex-GF got fraudulant CC

A PFD seems to be a good option, then keep your fingers crossed that she doesn't open any more cards, assuming she has all the info she needs to do so. Another thing would be to ask her to pay her debts but somehow I don't think that will work.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Doubt she would pay it. She's a waitress and we have to give her money all the time (above and beyond child support). She's also from the Czech Republic so I think she may not have realized the affect that what she was doing would eventually have on him. I'd hate to cause her problems, but I wonder if we did a DV and got the original paperwork if we could prove that it wasn't his signature. They may never connect it with her and I wouldn't necessarily want them to as I love their son and wouldn't want to see him have to go through anything like that. Maybe a PFD is best; anyone else have any thoughts?
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

My heart goes out to you; it sounds like a really lousy situation and that you care about your BF and his son ...

Why not DV and then dispute as "not mine"?  Search here or on the other boards about the one-two punch. You may be able to get this deleted.  I'd love to see that instead of your paying it.  Hope you have pulled his reports (all 3) to see if the ex-GF has caused any other nasties ...

Good luck, and keep us posted.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

But with a DV, wouldn't the CC investigate if its a large amount of money?
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I thought about a DV too. We could then show that his signature was forged (by who, who knows?) and get it removed. We are talking about an original balance of $469 inflated to $846. Not a massive sum. Would love to hear more feedback. This is really helping. Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 8
cgmiller63
Contributor

I had a former room-mate pull that stunt on me.  I requested verification, they sent me an application with a signature that clearly was not mine.  They wipped it off my record.  They have to prove it was you who opened the account. You don't have to tell them who you believe perpertrated the fraud. In my case, I gave them the persons name and contact information. The creditor never followed up on it.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is REALLY good to know. She had it set up at an address in another city. He never knew the account existed until we saw it on his CR. This may be the way to go.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.