Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ex-wife's collection account on my credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

ex-wife's collection account on my credit

I have a collection account that is showing up on my credit report that is my ex-wife's. She did not pay a dentist bill for our children, and the dentist ending up sending it to collections. I never received anything from the dentist or collection agent. The collection agent put it on my credit report (since the dental insurance was mine). After I found this out, I called the dentist and got no return call. I wrote the dentist a letter asking them to remove the account and I received a response from the collection agent with a detailed account of all the times they sent requests for payment out to my ex wife.

I disputed this account and the cra's all sent me out info saying that the account was verified. I was divorced from my ex wife years before this account. I am planning on buying a house in about a year and I want to get this cleared up, but I don't really know what I should do now. The account is only about $500, but it is not my debt. I thought about talking to a lawyer, but at $200/hr or more, that doesn't seem to make much sense. Doesn't a CA have to send me out a notification before they put an account on my credit?

Thanks
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
gdtobefree
Established Contributor

Re: ex-wife's collection account on my credit

seems like they would have to notify you doesn't it.
same thing happend to me with a car that I cosigned for that got repoed, I never knew it until I checked my credit.

I am a family person, so don't kill me for my opinion, if it were my child that incurred the bill, I would pay it with a pay for delete letter, which is a letter that ask if you pay the debt they will delete it from your credit.

With insurance you become the liable party, that is how it has always been for me.
My ex husband keep ins on the kids and if I don't pay the bill he gets charged for it.
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I understand your comment gdtobefree, and I don't want this to turn into some kind of divorce-related post. However, this kind of stuff has been happening repeatedly and I don't really like the fact of encouraging my ex to just not pay things, then I have to pay them. I'm really torn on this one.
Message 3 of 9
gdtobefree
Established Contributor

I understand,  I wish there were something else I can tell you. I am sure there will be more people on tomorrow that will post to your question.
Message 4 of 9
augyjr

What does the divorce decree state about financial obligation for medical?  Are you responsible for half of all uncovered expenses (that's the typical arragement)?  I would pay it -- with PFD -- and then sue her in small claims for the portion she is responsible for.
Message 5 of 9
tryingtogetitrightnow
Regular Contributor

There was nothing listed for dental at the time. It was stated that we would share the cost of childcare and insurance premiums. Long story short, I paid all of that and still have not seen anything. I have requested it from her many times. I am planning on holding her in contempt of court for that, and hoping for the best. That is whole other ball of wax, though. This probably isn't the best forum to get into a discussion of how completely unfair that situation is.

So, if I decide to pay it I should call up the CA and tell them that if they send me a signed letter that states that if I pay it, they will remove it from my credit report entirely then I'll pay them in full? Is that the right way to go about that?

Starting Scores:10/09/13 EX ???; EQ 661; TU 668
Current Scores: 11/23/13 EX 655; EQ 679; TU 705
Goal Scores:700+ for all
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

That's basically it --it's called a PFD. Check up at the top of this board in Frequently Requested Threads for sample PFD letters. I would try sending it to the dentist first, but since they ignored you the first time around, you might not have much luck.

BTW, are you also want2bfreefromthisaccount? Your name seems to have morphed! Smiley Happy
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 9
tryingtogetitrightnow
Regular Contributor

yep, same as want2bfreefromthisaccount. Actually, I registered with that forum username before purchasing any myfico products. But then I forgot the password I used, and couldn't retrieve my password 'cause it kept telling me I wasn't on file, so I registered again with another name. :-)

Message 8 of 9
tryingtogetitrightnow
Regular Contributor

The more I think about this, the more I realize that I should probably DV this instead of PFD. I am only really concerned with having it off my reports 6 or 7 months from now. Is there a downside if I DV now, and in a couple months that doesn't work then PFD it rather than just PFD it right now?

Thanks!!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.