Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ex wife using and not paying...divorced for 5 years

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

ex wife using and not paying...divorced for 5 years

My husband just had his credit report pulled and found out that his ex wife is using a joint credit card. They have been divorced for 5 years! He never even thought abuot this card, since it had been so long. Well, She hasnt made payment since June '12. Now its seriously deliquent and seriously hurting his credit. All his other debts have been paid on time, no deliquency! He immediately called Capital One and they informed him he is NOT the primary person on the account so he cant remove his name. They told him the ex wife would have to call and remove him. He has reached out to her numerous times in the past couple weeks. Initially she ignored him, then she called him and said that they wouldnt remove him from the account unless he was merged into their phone call and they did it together. She also claims she paid the past due amount when she made the call. Still doesnt change the fact that the account was >120 days deliquent and showing up on his cr that way.

First question...does this sound like a joint account or is he an authorized user?

second question....how do we go about getting his name removed? court? contact capital one again? again, he hasnt had possesion of this card for at least 5 years!

Any advice would be appreciated....TIA!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
heathuhhhhwebbbb
New Contributor

Re: ex wife using and not paying...divorced for 5 years

That's unfortunate!  I was divorced about 3 years ago but we were reasonable, any cards I was an AU on, I mailed back to him certified mail so that he knew I was not using his cards.  Unfortunatly, when I went to remove him from my banking account as a joint user, I was told I couldn't because he would have to be there as well to authorize the removal.  I think if it was just an AU, the main account holder can remove or add whoever whenever they way.  But I could be wrong.

I know for my Capital One Cards I can add/remove the AU whenever I want on the website.

09/2013: TU FICO 692, EQ FICO 698, EX PLUS 709. No apps until December 2014!
Freedom: $1500 Cap1 Plat: $2000 Cap1 Cash: $1500 Barclays: $4000 Walmart: $2700 GE Luxury: $4800 Jared: $1500 Davids Bridal: $1500
Message 2 of 5
CS800
Super Contributor

If the EX wife is the primary owner and your husband is the AU, he can dispute the account with the CRA. I did it before. And it was removed from all 3

I stated 'Account not mine"

Message 3 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Tell him to pull his CRs. It'll say on there if he's a joint acct holder or AU. As mentioned, if AU, dispute as "not mine". If joint, he has every right to cancel and he'll have to fight for that.

If an AU it'll disappear. If joint, he legally would still be responsible for the debt despite any divorce decree. Now he could use any decree to go after the ex for charges or damages if there was a violation of those terms.

Message 4 of 5
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

+1  He needs to look at his reports and see exactly where he stands on this one.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.