Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fall off dates

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

fall off dates

why does each credit report have a different fall off date for old accounts?

example

-transunion - wfnnb stage. estimated month and year item will be removed 11/11

-experian-      wfnnb state/ estimated month and year 1/12

Shouldnt they both be the same?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Ms-Kato
Contributor

Re: fall off dates

I know it's crazy..I been going over my reports and have filed 24 disputes regarding

a whole slew of errors including fall off dates.

It's like a maze having to go back and forth with all these credit reports that I have.

I had one thing removed so far and it shows removed on EQ and EX website but still shows on

myFICO and I bought the myFICO Trans after the the item was removed....go figure because I'm lost.

I'm so very frustrated with this whole proccess and all these FAKO scores out there.I wouldn't

mind if they were close but they are not. Plus Stuff removed from one report and not other's. I was under the impression if

something was removed on 1 or 2 reports the other reports will follow and update..but no...which creates more work and time for

me to get this mess corrected !

The Federal Goverment should get involved in this mess.

For instance..Trans and EQ reports to myFICO which most lenders look at...yet all 3 EX ,EQ and TU have collaborated and created the

Advantage score. To top it off EX is the biggest of the 3 and they don't report to myFICO any longer...All about greed.

Seems to me this is all about a $ battle.

Message 2 of 4
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

why does each credit report have a different fall off date for old accounts?

example

-transunion - wfnnb stage. estimated month and year item will be removed 11/11

-experian-      wfnnb state/ estimated month and year 1/12

Shouldnt they both be the same?

Hi and Welcome to the forums,

The DoFD  (Date of First Delinquency) is the date  the CRA's use, to calculate when a neg drops off.

The OC and the CRA's will have the actual DoFD if you want to know.

My CR's had different drop off dates too. It varied by a few months one way or the other.

Oh and you have to wonder why, they used the word " estimated" for the date of removal.Smiley Wink

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

FCRA 605(a) sets forth the maximum dates that adverse items of information may continue to be included in credit reports issued by the CRAs.

The FCRA does not regulate when an adverse item is actually discontinued from CR inclusion.  A CRA is certainly entitled to discontinue its reporting at an earlier time, but common experience is that it is usually fairly close to the maximum permissible date.  Exclusion too far prior to its maximum inclusion date fails to make important information available to creditors, which is the main reason for CRs in the first place.   

DOFD is not the universal date applicable to continued inclusion of adverse account delinquency items.  The DOFD is only relevant for charge-offs and collections, and affixes the maximum date for their inclusion in a consumer's CR.  Individual monthly delinquencies each have their own individual exclusion dates, which is 7 years from the date of the reported delinquency.

The use of estimated fall off dates is thus not an accurate predictor of deletion, as what was used by the CRA to determine such dates is not disclosed.

The most common issue pertaining to predicted fall-off dates applies to collections and charge-offs.  For some unexplicable reason, most commercial credit reports dont provide the legal date that determines the date of CO and CA exclusions, which is the reported DOFD on the OC account.  Instead, they cloak the date-certain from the consumer, and instead state some predicted date, without stating the date upon which this expectation is calculated.  One can attempt to back-date from the predicted exclusion date and attempt to determine the reported DOFD, but that is inaccurate.  It would be no problem for the CRAs to just include the reported DOFD, but they tend to cloak it for some unknown reason.

DOFD should, in my opinion, be a required item in all credit reports vended to consumers.  A consumer can always require the CRA to provide it to them, but such requests require payment of a processing fee to the CRA under fCRA 609(a).

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.