cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fathers collection showing on my report!

tag
matthallis
Valued Member

fathers collection showing on my report!

Applied for penfed auto loan and was declined and the reason was because i had a collection!??!?!?!?! 

i immediately called equifax and found out my father who is 55 with the same name as me has HIS collection on my report as a judgement 

I disputed it and was wondering if anyone knows how this would affect my current credit cards?

And how long it would take to resolve this

His social was also listed on my report and i told them to take it off! hopefully it doesnt hurt me.

Gardening as of 7/7/2013
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Re: fathers collection showing on my report!

You had better check TU and EX if you haven't already.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 2 of 7
awiser
Regular Contributor

Pull your reports and check for inaccuracies (father's collection). You can dispute anything that is not accurate. It takes 30 days or less for a dispute resolution and once it's resolved, it is immediately updated on your reports.

Message 3 of 7
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

I would agree with the other advice. I would add if you are a JR or II that when you apply for credit  use your full name including generation code. Also I would make sure your creditors also are reporting you with a generation code as well. If the difference is in one of the names make sure you use your full name. My father and I share the same middle and last name and our first name bigins with the same letter. By doing this will help things like this from happening. The bureau searches by the  social security number, name (first, middle and last),  generatiion code, address, ande age.   Hope this helps.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 4 of 7
mikie209
Regular Contributor

I had the same thing happen on my experian report. My dads social was listed and all of the sudden 16 collections shows up from him out of nowhere. I called experian and they deleted his social and the 16 collections in 24 hours.

Message 5 of 7
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@matthallis wrote:

I disputed it and was wondering if anyone knows how this would affect my current credit cards?

And how long it would take to resolve this

There really isn't a fixed answer for either of these.  As indicated above, the source generally has 30 days but it can certainly take less than 30.  Effect is going to vary on your credit, the details of the derog and the specific creditor you're asking about.

Message 6 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Personally, I would recommend handling by way of a letter to the CRA rather than as a formal dispute.

Mismatching of info to the incorrect file is not really an issue of accuracy of reporting made by a furnisher.

Thus, in any dispute, the CRA will have no furnisher to refer the dispute.

It really does not fit the traditional dispute process of obtaining furnisher verification of the accuracy of reporting, leaving only the CRA's internal reinvestigation as the means to resolve the issue.  A letter can accomplish the same internal review without messing up your scoring by a pending dispute flag.

I would suggest handling as an administrative error in file matching by the CRA, handled by way of letter to them documenting the mismatch.

Including a statement from your father identifying the reporting as relating to him would most likely put the issue to rest.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.