mitbemi

fico score

I finally reached 678.  I got a secured credit card  for $ 3,000.00 and I was told to use it. I was told by the banker to always keep a low balance.  I do not want any debt but I thought I have to use it since "everyone" tells me so. There was a charge for $25.00 yearly fee and I paid that as soon as it was posted in January .  I bought a dress for

$ 230.00 on March 5th and on March 10 I got a message from my fico saying that my balance had increased with $205.00. Therefore my score decreased 3 points.  I still had three weeks until my payment was due. However, I paid $ 230.00 that day. With other words, Wells fargo reported a balance of $25.00 even though it was paid the first day it was posted.   I still have not seen my credit go back up.  It certainly was quick to decrease my score but now it is well over a month ago and it is still 675.   Why would I be told to use the credit card to build a credit if my credit goes down for buying something for a small amount of money?  Now I do not dare to use it . I am trying to build my credit, not ruining it.  I can see scores  going down if a balance remains unpaid but after spending just a small amount of money and repaying it immediately?  I call it immediately since I paid it as soon as my charge was posted. I just do not understand. Sorry if I cannot explain well enough but I am trying to keep the posting short.

Goal 720
Valued Member
blitz

Re: fico score

You need history with that card. One on-time payment isn't going to boost your score. Months of on-time payments will. Since on-time payments have a heavier weight on your credit score than credit utilization, it will soon boost your score by keeping a low debt-to-income ratio with months of on-time payments. 

Starting Score: AVG 529 (5/2013)
Current Score: 626 (03/2014) - Barclaycard FICO
Goal Score: 650

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Moderator Emeritus
llecs

[ Edited ]

OP, CCs only report once per month and they'll report the balance you had on your statement date. They'll report typically within 2-3-4 days of your statement date. Your FICO score will fully rebound if you pay it off and let it report at $0, assuming it increased due to that increase.

For max points, pay off all of your CCs except for once and let those report $0, and get one to report a balance of under 9% of your CC's CL.

FICO doesn't care if you use your CCs or not. Your CC will update regardless. Just use it every 4-6 months to keep some activity on it. Some creditors have been known to close unused accounts.

BTW, you can be 100% debt free, still owe nothing [and still use your CCs]. It's just a matter of timing your CC usage with your payments in relation to your statement date.

mitbemi

Thank you   I understand.  I will check all the dates and use a small amount once in a while.  I don't owe anything but like I said, there has not been an

increase after it was paid. Today is May 10th  two months exactly and no change in my score.  I really appreciate you getting back to me.  Have a great weekend!

Goal 720
andydallas1

they want to see more time than 2 months,,giveit 6 months and see if its going up,,of course be 30 days late one time during that and your score will tank.

Establishing credit is a long process,,they want to see how stable you are with making payments and being responsible with finances over the long haul

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}