Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fraud alert from Experian

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

fraud alert from Experian

I have no idea what to make of this. Recieved this alert today. I have disputed nothing. Didn't request it.......Is this a bad thing? 

We have detected a fraud alert on your credit report. A fraud alert is initiated by you and stays on your report for at least 90 days—at which time it can be removed. If you did not place this fraud alert on your account, contact the credit bureaus to have it corrected.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: fraud alert from Experian

Got another alert. Transunion added fraud alert...
Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Technically, fraud alerts are only authorized at the request of the consumer or their authorized rep.

However, a common practice has been developed over the years where a CRA will consider any issue or allegation of reported information that was not authorized by the consumer as an inherent authorization by the consumer to place a fraud alert in their file.  Not necessarily a bad practice.....

Did you recently raise any issues of account or information not being yours?

Fraud alerts come in two flavors.... initial and extended.

Intitial alerts are good for only 90 days, while extended alerts are good for several years.

Extended fraud alerts require a showing of actual vs. potential fraud/identity theft, and require filing of a police report as showing of the fraud/identity theft.

Since you did not file a police report, you can choose to simply wait 90 days, and it should be removed.

A consumer has the right at any time to remove a fraud alert by sending a written request to the CRA, along with proof of their identity.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

No. Last thing I did was apply for blispay CC.
I guess if it doesn't hurt anything I'll just leave it alone.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.