Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hard pull vs soft pull

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

hard pull vs soft pull

what is the difference in these? Can a company see the same thing if they do a soft pull as they would on a hard?
Also, our mortgage company has done several hard pulls in the past few months. They are our current mortgage company and we have not been shopping for a new mortgage or anything. When we called them they said they do this sometimes to see if we qualify for any special offers and things like that. We never gave permission for them to do this. My question is since they are our current company can they do a hard pull on our reports without our permission?
Thanks to everyone for all the great advice you give here!
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: hard pull vs soft pull

Yes- except for promotional inquires they see the same information.

Unless you are behind on you payment and they are do "For collection purpose" reviews; they are breaking the law.

I can't find the FTC opinion letter right this second- but because the terms on you installment loan will not change based on review- they do not have PP.

If they were doing Soft pulls- this is still questionable.

@Anonymous wrote:
what is the difference in these? Can a company see the same thing if they do a soft pull as they would on a hard?
Also, our mortgage company has done several hard pulls in the past few months. They are our current mortgage company and we have not been shopping for a new mortgage or anything. When we called them they said they do this sometimes to see if we qualify for any special offers and things like that. We never gave permission for them to do this. My question is since they are our current company can they do a hard pull on our reports without our permission?
Thanks to everyone for all the great advice you give here!

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: hard pull vs soft pull

http://www.ftc.gov/os/statutes/fcra/gowen.shtm
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.