Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help! Old collection from 1986 ( amex)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

help! Old collection from 1986 ( amex)

I just received a letter from a collection agency asking to settle on an old amex card , which was actually my ex-husbands' back in 1980's..it's owed still about 2,000, and they want to settle for 1/2. I was only the authorized user, but they still are trying to get money from me...can they come back after almost 30 years to do this? also, can this be something they put on my cr even though it 's 30 years ago?? thanks
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: help! Old collection from 1986 ( amex)

Well, it's actually 21 years ago - but hey- collectors will try to get anything they think they can get their hands on. I would inform them that they are welllll beyond the SOL, and that as an authorized user, you do not have any obligation to pay them. Period. This account isn't showing on your or your husbands reports, is it? If it is, you need to dipute it immediately. Good luck and Godspeed!
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

you're right..it's 21 years... it's not on my CR..but i'm afraid now if it's with a collection agency that it might END UP THERE....I wanted to know if the collection agency had the RIGHT to go after me after all this time, or if there is a statute I can quote etc..

thanks

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Look up your states SOL - however, I don't know of ANY states that has a SOL of 21 years, so I think you are gonna be ok. If it does start reprting, dispute with the CRAs citing the age of the account.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

there is statue for State where you live which deals with how long a CA or any creditor can file suit.

check with your state to see if anything has changed.

As far as CRA, they go by FCRA......baddies fall of in 7 years.

here is a whole thread full of info.

keep a close eye on your report. You never know what a CA will do.  If it appears on your report you can DV them and dispute it with CRA.

If the account was only in ex-hubby name they are just trying to get money & you are not responsable.
If you were an AU  it still is not for you to pay.

With the SOL past in your state I would just ignore the letter.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.