Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help plz! basic ques for newly responsible debtor

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

help plz! basic ques for newly responsible debtor

I have a few questions and would love any advice. I'm 26, had a few credit cards in college that I maxed out, never paid, went to collections etc- Behaved so irresponsibly, but I'm now aggressively taking charge and trying to resolve it.

Here are some questions - Is there any difference between paying the full amt owed to a collection agecny or paying a settlement?  Will they impact my credit score differently?  Once I pay this amount, does the collection agency (or original creditor) contact the credut bureau to remove the entire derogatory transaction?  Is it on me to do that?  Will the credit bureau remove anything once the balance is paid "in full" or in a settlement?  

Can I petition the credit bureaus to remove debts that went to collections since I have now paid them?

I have heard so many diff things from so many people that I just don't know what's what..

Also, what is a good-will letter?

I know it's a lot, but would so appreciate any help! I've been reading this site non-stop today and have already learned so much...

Thanks!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: help plz! basic ques for newly responsible debtor

I know you probably feel like your head is going to explode, but you have a little bit more reading to do. Smiley Happy

Start here and it will fill in a lot of the gaps for you. It will answer almost all of the questions you asked. Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.