Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help rebuild credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

help rebuild credit

I just pulled a credit report and I am dissatisfied with it and myself. I have between a low 500 up to 551. I have somethings in there that I feel should be removed. I have a repossession showing up from almost 8 years ago and another that is from around the same time. The second isn't a repo its a delinquent account. Any advise on what I can do to get these removed and maybe start working on getting rid of some delinquent accounts. I've never cared about credit until now.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
IamB2
Established Contributor

Re: help rebuild credit

@Anonymous wrote:
I just pulled a credit report and I am dissatisfied with it and myself. I have between a low 500 up to 551. I have somethings in there that I feel should be removed. I have a repossession showing up from almost 8 years ago and another that is from around the same time. The second isn't a repo its a delinquent account. Any advise on what I can do to get these removed and maybe start working on getting rid of some delinquent accounts. I've never cared about credit until now.

Hi and welcome to the forum,

There are a couple of things that you can do. First thing first. Make sure you get your full credit report (if you haven't done so) from all 3 credit reporting agencies by going to https://www.annualcreditreport.com/. (Free once a year). This will give you the exact date of first delinquency or the "fall off date". Reason for this is to confirm that the debts that you mentioned qualify for exclusion based on age.

If you confirm that this is the case, you need to dispute both debts with all three credit reporting agencies as "Too Old to List". This letter of dispute needs not be anything fancy. Simply stating the fact when the debt first became delinquent and that it never was brought to current. If it has been more than 7.5 years from the Date of First Delinquency (commonly referered to as DOFD), then the CRA is required by law to exclude that debt from your report.

Hope that helps and once again congratulations on the decision to repair your credit. It is a grusome task, but it is a very rewarding one.

FICO® EQ 717 (3/5/15); TU08 732 (3/5/15); EX: 723 (3/5/15) - Last app 3/15/15; Inquiries: A TON!

CITI ThankYou Preferred - CL: $2,000

Starting Scores: 590s on 12/2013. Hover over card image to view details! *After Amex approvals - [I was supposed to be] Gardening!*
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

If it says potentially negative and closed does that affect your credit? The one account is dated 3/1/06 and the other is 8/9/06. is this making my score lower than it should be?
Message 3 of 7
IamB2
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
If it says potentially negative and closed does that affect your credit? The one account is dated 3/1/06 and the other is 8/9/06. is this making my score lower than it should be?

As everything else, consider the source. Where are you getting your report from? You need your full reports (directly from the Credit Reporting Agency - CRA) or from the website mentioned above to determine if the debt is too old. If you got the reports from this site, it doesn't list the date you are looking for (when the account first became delinquent). The dates mentioned are they when the accounts were opened or when you first became delinquent? That is what will determine if it is too old. If it is when the account was opened

Negative accounts will affect your score regardless of the status (open/close).

FICO® EQ 717 (3/5/15); TU08 732 (3/5/15); EX: 723 (3/5/15) - Last app 3/15/15; Inquiries: A TON!

Starting Scores: 590s on 12/2013. Hover over card image to view details! *After Amex approvals - [I was supposed to be] Gardening!*
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got the reports from experian. I paid 32.95 for the report and it has all 3 CRA reports. Where would I find the date if its not listed there? Also, why would different CRA's have different dates listed on the same debt? Is that from them selling my debt? I have also found an address on two of the agencies that I never lived at. I paid child support to my ex at that address.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

What do I need to include in the letter? Should I send a copy of the debt on my report?
Message 6 of 7
IamB2
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I got the reports from experian. I paid 32.95 for the report and it has all 3 CRA reports. Where would I find the date if its not listed there? Also, why would different CRA's have different dates listed on the same debt? Is that from them selling my debt? I have also found an address on two of the agencies that I never lived at. I paid child support to my ex at that address.

When you buy "bundles" from any company, you may not get the information you need. The one sure way to get that date is by going to the annualcreditreport.com. It is free and you can get your copy from there immediately.

As to why you mentioned different dates, and I am guessing the "Open" date? If so, that is fine. Date the account was opened has no bearing on the exclusion date. So just get those reports from the annualcreditreport.com and post your DOFD here. I'll be able to help out more then.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.