Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help with collection 465yc00000!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: help with collection 465yc00000!!!

Baires...that letter is a PFD to a CA.

Goal is to work with the OC bypassing the CA altogether. I would be nice and state that you were unaware of this, as you obviously are, and see if they can HELP you. If they have sold it to the CA, then, you will have to deal with them. I still would not send a pushy letter to the CA at this point. This is a relatively small amount and hopefully someone is willing to forgive you,  if this indeed is yours.

I looked at my online copy of EQ. It gives me the name of my OC, but not much more useful info. I can post back in morning after looking at a hard copy to see if it gives an account number.

Message 11 of 19
Schoolbuskid
Valued Contributor

should i DV a CA even if i believe that the debt is mine, but in hopes of them of them not being able to provide proof that i owe them that debt. I have wrote them a PFD letter but the state that OR has verified that this debt is owed by me and has been reactivated as due! What should i do?
Rebuilding and Reducing Debt, is my game plan.
Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks stef! I'm cofused because a lot of people is telling me DO NOT talk to them, DO everything in writing so I guess I'll write a letter to the OC in hopes they fix this but now I don't know if I should do a PFD and If so how do I tone it down????
Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your welcome.

I would first get the EQ report. Sorry, I cannot find my hard copy to see if it actually gave an account number to the OC. In my case, I was brave & stupid and just called the hospital it was for and asked if they owned it, could I please pay it and have it removed. They were friendly, told me I had a couple of more that also needed attention, so, I was ready to pay them as well. They agreed to delete the one the CA had and not forward the other 2 that were about to go. (Whew, maybe a good thing I did call)

I am sure there are many here that will say I did it completely wrong, but it turned out in my favor, was quick and painless. If I were to send a letter, I would state the basic facts. I see no need to be a jerk when you are basically pleading with someone not to ruin 7 years of your life for something you may have overlooked, or was not notified about. You do want something in writing, on their letterhead stating that it is paid in full and will be recalled from the CA and bureaus. Then you can send them a money order for it.

I guess it is all in how you really want to handle it. I tried reading the hipaa letter. (Google to find if you would like to read his procedure)  I think maybe that would be something I would use if I had time, and patience and someone I thought would not work with me. You may be in a small town too, and are in a position to work with your creditor. I have always said it never hurts to ask. The worse they can do is say no. If that is not the answer you care to hear, Then, by all means, try a different route.

I hope I did not steer you off a bridge. Again, this is only my opinion. Please take with a grain of salt.

Message Edited by stef37 on 02-03-2008 04:55 PM

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

P.S.

I sound more like Dear Abby... than someone on how to negotiate with bill collectors Smiley Wink

And I should of asked what state? Important for SOL.  You can also find it listed in above url.

Message Edited by stef37 on 02-03-2008 05:40 PM

Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Baires and Stef........SOL is your protection against people & companies that want to sue you over debts that are very old. It doesn't mean that you do not owe the debt!

Never PIF or PFD  until after a DV......and make sure that the CA is licensed in your state,if needed. You MUST know who owns the debt!!!  People have paid thinking that they should only to have the OC or another CA file a lawsuit. The CA that they paid did not have the legal right to collect.  YES you can then sue the CA BUT not if they are out of busness.     This protects you against paying more then once!

Also people have PFD and settled for less  and did not have the correct wording. The remaining debt was sold & they had to pay the again.

By knowing your SOL could make it easier to PFD......If you are close or past SOL.

You need to know who owns the debt....if it is the OC (Dr dentist or other medical) You should call them & ask for the DOLA (The date that the bill is for)    Also offer to pay them.

It is always better to pay the OC.......most OCs for medical do not report....they assign it to a CA.

Keep in mind that most medical offices have no idea what the federal or state laws are. They will ask the CA which will lie to them!

NEVER talk to a CA....they will lie like a rug!!

866-640-2273    Mon.- Fri    8am - 3am   est    this is the # for EQ  in the USA.

Ask for the name and address of the CA  and  for the DOFD!   You only need to give them the account # that is on your CR.

IF the person that you talk to can not give you all the info.   dispute it as *not mine*   Remember that the CRA has 30 days to answer the dispute. You will receive a new CR in the mail. It will show the CA deleted or full info.

Remember first try to pay the OC!!!  and ignore the CA if you can.  IF the CA owns the account (the OC can tell you)

Send a DV  CMRRR       I will post a DV  you will need to make changes to the DV letter and make it fit for you.   This letter can go to any CA   not just medical as they all must follow the same laws.

The CA must answer the DV within 30 days or stop all collection activaty (reporting)

If the CA  answers with the correct info. and you know that it is yours....sedn a PFD

IMO  it is not needed to send a PFD if you pay the OC......once the OC is paid there is nothing for the CA to report.

No matter who you pay be sure to make the check out to the OC or CA name not a person AND put on check   for deposit only!

Please if you have any more question just ask!!!

DV should be sent CMRRR   you need proof that they received it and that is the date when you start counting.

CERTIFIED MAIL #: _______________________________________________________
Your Name
Your Address
YourTown,, State ZipCode

Debt Collection Company Name
Their address
Town, State ZipCode

Date:

Re: Debt Collection Company Name; Acct # Debt Collection Company #; Original Creditor Name; OC Acct #

To Whom It May Concern:
This letter is being sent to you in response to a notice sent to me on DATE. Be advised that this is a notice sent pursuant to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, 15 USC 1692g Sec. 809 (b) that your claim is disputed and validation is requested.
This is NOT a request for “verification” or proof of my mailing address, but a request for FULL MEDIA VALIDATION made pursuant to the above named Title and Section. I respectfully request that your offices provide me with competent evidence that (a) the account is valid, (b) the amount allegedly owed is accurate, and (c) I have a contractual obligation to pay Debt Collection Company Name for this alleged debt.
All of the following MUST be provided to adequately validate the authenticity of the alleged debt AND provide proof of my contractual obligation to Debt Collection Company Name for this alleged debt:
• Signed credit application between myself and the original creditor
• Copies of all signed vouchers from the date account was opened until default
• Copies of all statements from the date account opened until default
• Proof of the statute of limitations
• Proof of agreement that you were hired by the Original creditor (creditor as defined by the FDCPA) or
• A copy of the contract Debt Collection Company Name purchased the alleged debt.
• If the alleged debt was purchased, provide a copy of an agreement between Debt Collection Company Name and myself, signed by me, stating that I have a contractual responsibility to Debt Collection Company Name for the alleged debt
• Provide proof that Debt Collection Company Name is bonded/Licensed for debt collecting in the State of Your State
Be advised that failing to provide ALL of the media requested to validate the alleged debt will invalidate any and all claims Debt Collection Company Name is asserting regarding this alleged debt. If Debt Collection Company Name can NOT provide all of the validation media requested above, ALL collection efforts MUST be stopped and the account MUST be DELETED from the Debt Collection Company Name. If you can NOT validate your claim, you can NOT, by law, collect on it, or SELL it to another collection agency. Also, reporting a debt to the credit reporting agencies that can not be validated is a violation of the FCRA (Fair Credit Reporting Act), and carries a $2500 fine to be paid to me. I have two years to decide if I want to pursue this matter. PLEASE GIVE THIS MATTER THE ATTENTION IT DESERVES.
If your offices are able to provide all of the validating media as requested, I will require at least 30 days to investigate this information, and during such time, all collection activity must cease and desist.
I am also stating, in writing, that no telephone contact be made by your offices. If your offices attempt telephone communication with me, including but not limited to computer generated calls and calls or correspondence sent to or with any third parties, it will be considered harassment, and I will have no choice but to file suit. All future communications with me MUST be done in writing and sent to the address noted in this letter by United States Postal Service.

Best Regards,

Your Name     DO NOT SIGN   JUST TYPE YOUR NAME

Message Edited by HappyDays on 02-03-2008 06:40 PM
Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you HappyDays.

I certainly did not want to lead  OP in the wrong direction. Like I said, just my experience.
Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

NP   I treat all debt as the same except in states that have no SOL for hospital. All CAs must go by the same laws!!  Keep in mind that CAs are known to change the DOFD and DOLA.....the date you see on CR  for *report *  is correct & can be updated.

Message Edited by HappyDays on 02-03-2008 07:12 PM
Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

You guys are the BEST!!!! BTW I'm in FL so my SOL it's far away. I'm helping my friend who's moving so tomorrow first thing I'll do is call EQ so they can give me the initial info. I'll let you guys know!!!!

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.