Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how do I get them to stop calling

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

how do I get them to stop calling

my 25 yr old ds has serious money problems  we tried to help but all it got us was debt of our own.

so the problem is his creditors call our home phone. I have told them he does not live here . They call back the next day... I have given them his cell phone and they call back 2 days later..

Can they call here since he gave them this number at some time I suppose.

What do I need to do to keep them from calling.

Meg
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: how do I get them to stop calling

Someone more knowledgable will help out with this but I am pretty sure when you tell them to stop calling and they don't they are in violation of some law.

On another note it is very hard to help someone who has money problems out.  I am so sorry to hear of your debt from trying to do this and wish you the best of luck in getting it all worked out. 

Good Luck Vicki
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

When you get the call, ask to speak to a manager or supervisor. Tell them that your son no longer lives there, and if they persist in calling you will file a complaint with the FTC and file suit. The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act specifically forbids collectors from calling once they have been informed the number they are calling is wrong.
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

itlw8 wrote:
my 25 yr old ds has serious money problems  we tried to help but all it got us was debt of our own.

so the problem is his creditors call our home phone. I have told them he does not live here . They call back the next day... I have given them his cell phone and they call back 2 days later..

Meg

Another way to try to stop them from calling is to say that you don't know where the person is, that they've moved and you don't have another number and/or address for them.  Some CCCs/CAs will delete the number after a number of tries if they cannot find the person. 

Message Edited by hunting_bears on 06-13-2008 09:31 PM
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

No offense, Hunting_Bears and NewWorldMan, but: Pffbht.

I got my business phone line about a year ago ... and almost immediately, several CAs called for some guy named "Joe XXX" ... I'd politely tell them that this was a business number and that I never had an employee named "Joe XXX." They'd thank me for letting them know, promise to never call again, and hang up.

SAME day, I'd get about 4 more calls from the same CA for the same guy. Each time, I'd go through the spiel again ("Just bought the number, no one by that name here, please don't call again, this is a business number"), they'd thank me, promise not to call again ... you get the picture.

Fast forward one YEAR: they STILL call (same *bleeping* number on my business line). I just don't answer anymore. Last time I did, the jerk on the other end of the line accused me of "hiding Joe XXX." Told me he was going to sue ME for Joe's debt (apparently, Joe was a very naughty boy -- I have upwards of 10 different CAs calling me at ALL hours of the night!! Thank goodness the *bleeping* business phone is in my studio and I don't have to listen to the ringing!). After that, I just stopped answering.

Anywho, they don't just stop after a few (or even MANY) "Not his number" responses. Apparently, to some of these *bleeping* jerks, it's a turn on. Smiley Mad
Message 5 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Shoot, Wonderin, I'd sue, just for the satisfaction of it. The bottom-feeder collectors will do anything they want if they think it will get them their commission. The rules don't matter to them.

@Anonymous wrote:

my 25 yr old ds has serious money problems we tried to help but all it got us was debt of our own.

Meg

Meg, when you said "my 25 yr old ds has serious money problems we tried to help but all it got us was debt of our own," do you mean that you co-signed on an account or accounts that are now in collections? If so, I think that collectors can come after you. Just making sure I read this right.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 10
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Wonderin wrote:
No offense, Hunting_Bears and NewWorldMan, but: Pffbht.

I got my business phone line about a year ago ... and almost immediately, several CAs called for some guy named "Joe XXX" ... I'd politely tell them that this was a business number and that I never had an employee named "Joe XXX." They'd thank me for letting them know, promise to never call again, and hang up.

SAME day, I'd get about 4 more calls from the same CA for the same guy. Each time, I'd go through the spiel again ("Just bought the number, no one by that name here, please don't call again, this is a business number"), they'd thank me, promise not to call again ... you get the picture.

Fast forward one YEAR: they STILL call (same *bleeping* number on my business line). I just don't answer anymore. Last time I did, the jerk on the other end of the line accused me of "hiding Joe XXX." Told me he was going to sue ME for Joe's debt (apparently, Joe was a very naughty boy -- I have upwards of 10 different CAs calling me at ALL hours of the night!! Thank goodness the *bleeping* business phone is in my studio and I don't have to listen to the ringing!). After that, I just stopped answering.

Anywho, they don't just stop after a few (or even MANY) "Not his number" responses. Apparently, to some of these *bleeping* jerks, it's a turn on. Smiley Mad

I have a similar problem at my office. Several CAs call daily for our employees, even though they work in another state. It used to frustrate me to no end, until I decided to try to get even.

I looked at the laws, and while they were violating the FDCPA by calling over and over, I realized I could not sue, but the employee could. I didn't want to ditract from our employees, so I changed things up.

I took a new position and decided to be friendly with the CA. Conversed with him/her and even went as far as to get info from them about their job, CA practices, and procedures. Instead of getting mad, I asked them about their family and where they live. I ask about their local politics, sports, and weather.

For the past 2 months, by doing this, all but one CA called a second time. Before, I would get mad and nearly always they would call over and over and over. Now, they always hang up on me. I never conclude the call. I ramble on and ask open-ended questions.
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can also try asking for their mailing address and mail them a letter CMRRR that states not to call you again, you have given them all the information you can provide. Cite FDCPA that states they must stop calling once they know it is not wanted. Tell them any future calls after the day they sign for that letter will be kept track of and they will be liable to you in the amount of $1000 per phone call for willfull violation of FDCPA.
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
You can also try asking for their mailing address and mail them a letter CMRRR that states not to call you again, you have given them all the information you can provide. Cite FDCPA that states they must stop calling once they know it is not wanted. Tell them any future calls after the day they sign for that letter will be kept track of and they will be liable to you in the amount of $1000 per phone call for willfull violation of FDCPA.

That's part of the problem, Sidewinder ... they've refused to give me their company name and/or address. When the *bleeping* *bleeps* call, it only shows up on my caller ID as "Unknown name, Unknown number!"

ARGGHHH!!!!!

Sooo ... today, when they called, instead of delivering the same spiel over and over and over ... you get the point ... I just told them that because they refused to get it through their pointy little heads that I am not, do not know, nor have ever employed, Joe XXX, that I was reporting their phone calls to the phone company to be investigated for harassment.

I further told them that as THEY were taping the phone call, I was taping the call as well and now had proof that I demanded that they stop calling.
(Thank you to whomever suggested doing that in another thread!!) They hung up and haven't called since (normally, they would have called back at least 3 times by now).

But, I promise you guys ... should they call again, and I sue them for the violations, I'll split the $$ with you!!
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
You can also try asking for their mailing address and mail them a letter CMRRR that states not to call you again, you have given them all the information you can provide. Cite FDCPA that states they must stop calling once they know it is not wanted. Tell them any future calls after the day they sign for that letter will be kept track of and they will be liable to you in the amount of $1000 per phone call for willfull violation of FDCPA.

That's part of the problem, Sidewinder ... they've refused to give me their company name and/or address. When the *bleeping* *bleeps* call, it only shows up on my caller ID as "Unknown name, Unknown number!"

ARGGHHH!!!!!

Sooo ... today, when they called, instead of delivering the same spiel over and over and over ... you get the point ... I just told them that because they refused to get it through their pointy little heads that I am not, do not know, nor have ever employed, Joe XXX, that I was reporting their phone calls to the phone company to be investigated for harassment.

I further told them that as THEY were taping the phone call, I was taping the call as well and now had proof that I demanded that they stop calling.
(Thank you to whomever suggested doing that in another thread!!) They hung up and haven't called since (normally, they would have called back at least 3 times by now).

But, I promise you guys ... should they call again, and I sue them for the violations, I'll split the $$ with you!!

Then I hope they call back.  Smiley Wink
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.