Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how far back can they report?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

how far back can they report?

I recently had a new posting to my credit report.  This has never been reported and it goes back 7 years.  They just now want to collect on something from 7 years ago.  Is this right?  Isn't there some time frame in which someone can come after you.  7 years ago, I don't even know if I have documents on this anymore.  
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: how far back can they report?

@Anonymous wrote:
I recently had a new posting to my credit report.  This has never been reported and it goes back 7 years.  They just now want to collect on something from 7 years ago.  Is this right?  Isn't there some time frame in which someone can come after you.  7 years ago, I don't even know if I have documents on this anymore.  

By law, they can report from 7-7.5 yrs. If this is on EX or TU, then I would pull the report directly from the CRA (not here, TC or elsewhere) and you will find a drop off date. If it isn't coming up real soon, and assuming 7 yrs old, then post back and someone here will help.

There is no time frame to collect. It can be 7 yrs or 70 yrs. However, the time in which they report is limited by the CRTP (from the FCRA) and the time in which they can sue is limited by state law (SOL).

Again, start with the CR pull directly from the CRA (you'd have to call EQ for this info, if on EQ).

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.