cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how it would affect not paying my Bank of America card to my other cards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

how it would affect not paying my Bank of America card to my other cards?

Hello! I'm from PR and unfortunately after the Hurricane Maria and my credit card almost took it to the top the problem is that now I can not pay it since I have extra expenses. Bank of America refuses to help me and tells me that the card to be up to date with payments can not help me.

My question is if I fall into a default I can close my other cards that are 0. I have more than 10 credit cards that should not affect anything would be just that line of credit
9 REPLIES 9
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: how it would affect not paying my Bank of America card to my other cards?

Hi OP, it sounds like your BofA card has a balance but many or all of your other cards do not have a balance?
Have you missed any minimum payments to BofA or other cards? It sounds like if you catch up those missed payments, to get back on track BofA might be able to make other allowances?

Your question is what happens to your credit if this BofA card goes in to default. Since credit scores are a measure of trust, your score would go down, but that only really affects future borrowing. If you default on the BofA card, that interest rate probably goes to a penalty rate.

However, since you live in PR, your ability to pay may be limited now. Sometimes situations lead people to default, because the burden of repaying a debt is not possible. The effect is limited ability to borrow, but it removes much of the burden of trying to pay it all back.

You should check with BofA to clarify what they have in mind, if you get current on payments. You need to look closely at your overall financial situation and decide how you want to move forward.
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

The only card that is due is that of BOA, the others are paid. If I fall into a default I doubt very much that I can keep paying. The truth This has me even without air, but I know that someday I will not be able to pay it. The economic situation is very difficult here
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
The only card that is due is that of BOA, the others are paid. If I fall into a default I doubt very much that I can keep paying. The truth This has me even without air, but I know that someday I will not be able to pay it. The economic situation is very difficult here

If you don't pay he BOA the other cards most likely will cut your limits pretty quickly.  Sorry about your situation.  Wish you the best of luck. 

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Surely they have some sort of leniency during/for catastrophic events? Also, you must not have opt-in for the CC insurance?

I know some people feel it isn't needed due to PIF mentality. But I sometimes make use of it for larger balances for a time, just in case of the unforseen events. If you situation is short term, you might consder some BT's until it changes or you can reach a solution with them.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do not understand the acronyms speak to me, I could explain more about it
Message 6 of 10
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
I do not understand the acronyms speak to me, I could explain more about it

Here's a link to a thread that lists common abbreviations used on myFICO:  http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/User-Guidelines-General/Common-Abbreviations/td-p/88458

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry OP, I hope things get better!! Try to talk to a supervisor with BOA.
Message 8 of 10
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Try going to https://www.usa.gov/disaster-financial-help to see if there are any programs to assist you.  Help ranges from disaster unemployment insurance, business loans to get up and running again, and assistance getting your home into a sanitary and living condition after a disaster.  As you didn't provide any information about what you're going through, hopefully there is something there that can help you.  I would also go to http://www.redcross.org to see if they can provide financial assistance.  I know they do for American military, but not sure about civillians.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about the dings to your credit if you can at least pay enough to keep the account open. After 2 years, they aren't weighted as heavily nor will they affect you as much.

Good luck.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

When my apartment complex caught fire, and we all had to leave. The Red Cross offered $150 for food/clothes. While it's not much in large events, it's enough for a couple days of an emergency. Something is better than nothing.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.