Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to remove an unauthorized inq?

tag
revvystoke
Frequent Contributor

how to remove an unauthorized inq?

Noticed an inq from WF bank on 2/13. Only business dealings I have with them is I am a signer on our local volunteer fire department account. We have an account with them for donations. I don't recall ever giving permission for a credit check, and the banker who set up the account claims I did but does not have any documentation. Do I file a dispute with the CR? The banker says he does not have a way to remove it.

AkAir $50k | Marriott $65k | Local CU $8k
TU: 770 / EQ: 748 / EX: 769
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Brax
Frequent Contributor

Re: how to remove an unauthorized inq?

Did the inq show right after becoming a signer on an acct there?

Having a customer relationship with WF likely makes the inq legitimate, no matter how it wasn't fully explained or misled with empty promises that there would be no credit check.

If the inq does seem unconnected and/or unexplainable for its purpose, then write a letter to the CR disputing the inq. 

Message 2 of 5
enharu
Super Contributor

@revvystoke wrote:

Noticed an inq from WF bank on 2/13. Only business dealings I have with them is I am a signer on our local volunteer fire department account. We have an account with them for donations. I don't recall ever giving permission for a credit check, and the banker who set up the account claims I did but does not have any documentation. Do I file a dispute with the CR? The banker says he does not have a way to remove it.

Wells Fargo does a HP whenever you apply for any non-personal account. This practice isn't out of the norm for many banks. Sometimes these clauses are buried deep inside the T&C.

Your best bet is to call WF credit department to have them remove it.

If you file a dispute and WF credit department responds to it, chances are the dispute will not be in your favor.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 3 of 5
HYPASS33
Frequent Contributor

I have had this happen to me recently with wells Fargo and Chase. Wells Fargo rep said they use the same credit pull for 30 days but they pulled twice and so did Chase. Well both sent me letters saying it was their mistake and they would correct it but it would take about 6 weeks. Well i've always faxed over documents to EQ and then call and speak with supervisor and the baddie would always get removed righ then. Well they are saying with INQ they can't delete like they do other baddies, the company has to do it electronically on their end. They might be just saying that but thats what I was told. EX and TU took it right off after I faxed the letters to them.

Message 4 of 5
revvystoke
Frequent Contributor

I talked to my banker again and he said he did not run my credit but the main office had that discretion, I called the backdoor number. The guy who answered couldn't figure out how I got the number to the EO but he explained its a standard procedure for them now to HP on opening a checking or credit account. Wish they had told me there would be a hp. At least its on EX, nobody has pulled it since amex anyway.

AkAir $50k | Marriott $65k | Local CU $8k
TU: 770 / EQ: 748 / EX: 769
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.