i'm trying not to SCREAM

tag
scottie_mommy
Regular Contributor

i'm trying not to SCREAM

Oh my goodness!!!

I have a consumer statement on my EQ report as follows:

Consumer Statement  

Equifax: #HK# ID FRAUD VICTIM ALERT: MY IDENTITY MAY HAVE BEEN USED WITHOUT MY CONSENT TO FRAUDULENTLY OBTAIN GOODS OR SERVICES FRAUDULENT APPLICATIONS MAY BE SUBMITTED IN MY NAME USING CORRECT PERSONAL INFORMATION DO NOT EXTEND CREDIT WITHOUT FIRST CONTACTING ME PERSONALLY AND VERIFYING ALL APPLICANT INFORMATION AT THIS # 210 xxx-xxxx

Well, that was placed there in 2002 when I first turned 18 and knew nothing about credit.

Someone had used my identity as a minor and set up phone lines, cable, and other things and never paid the accounts.  It took months to get the fraudulent accounts off.  Since Southwestern Bell and Time Warner are to stupid to see that the SS# used to set up the accounts belongs to a 15 year old!!!

So I was advised to place the alert..so I did.

Well, it has been 5 1/2 years and I have not had that phone number in 4 and 3/4 years!

So I got a letter a few weeks ago saying I was denied credit because I could not be reached at that number, that was the straw that broke the camels back.  I call the CRAs to get the dang thing removed.

After talking to someone at TU whose accent I could barely understand, who barely understood me, she says there isn't a fraud alert.  I tell her I am looking at it as we speak.  She says it isn't there and offers to sign me up for some monitoring service with a Vantage score, where I can get my report mailed or faxed at any time.  R U serious?  Am I a cave man?  There is no website. After arguing with her for 10 minutes about why I do not want that crappy service I call EQ, becuase I realize, maybe I made a mistake. 

The alert is on EQ only not all 3 (I guess).  I remember having the alert placed on all 3, even though it was over half a decade ago.

I call this stupid number that loops me around  100 times and I never get to a rep.  So I google a "backdoor" number and get a live person. Yay! Of course, he can't help me so he gives me another 800# for someone who can.  Hang up, call that number, turns out it isn't an alert it is a statement so I need to call a diff number. Of course! So I call that stinking number, and lo and behold....it loops around and hangs up on you.  There is no option to punch any buttons, to hold and someone will be on the line.  It gives you the website and address to CSC and hangs up.

I am so annoyed right now.

UGH!!!!

Thanks for letting me vent.

Now what the hell is the difference between an alert and a statement, if no matter what I get a phone call to an invalid number when I apply for credit?!?!?!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
cobra19
Valued Contributor

Re: i'm trying not to SCREAM

Had you been able to talk to a real person, they would (should) have told youi to send a request, in writing, to have it removed. You need to accompany your written request with a copy of a government issued picture ID (drivers license), and a copy of a current utility bill that is in your name that would verify your present home address.

Be sure to include somewhere in your letter your SS no., and your date of birth. Should take no more than a week or two to have it removed. At least, that's been my experience.

New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 2 of 3
scottie_mommy
Regular Contributor

Re: i'm trying not to SCREAM

Thank you soooo much Cobra!

I should have known to come to myFico before dealing with those knuckle heads.

Do you know which address I should send it to?

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.