Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

increasing score... i need specific suggestions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

increasing score... i need specific suggestions

My husband and I are planning to buy a house in the next 6-12 months, so I want to do what I can do boost our credit scores before that happens. As I posted in another thread, I just discovered 2 med bills in collections that I need to take care of, obviously, more than anything else. I plan to DV, PFD, pay, and then ask the cra's to verify, so hopefully somewhere along the way they'll get deleted, but if not, at least they'll be paid and set to come off in 2.5 years. Here is how the rest of my credit history looks, please tell me what I should do to pick it up a notch Smiley Happy -car loan for 15k, taken out 19 months ago, no late payments, owe about 11.5k -Bank of American credit card, 13k limit, never charge more than 2k per month, always PIF and on time, open about 2 years -Capital One account, closed, no lates, was open about 2 years before I closed bc of annual fee -2 student loans totalling about 20k, only 3 payments made, all on time, then paid off in full -Children's Place store card, $500 limit, always PIF and on time That's it. Not much history, I know, which is probably the biggest thing hurting me... Only time will fix that. Do you think I need another open card? I had always heard that you wanted as few open as possible, but now i'm hearing that it's really creating too little history for me. But i don't want another inquiry and open account if its going to hurt me more than it will help me in the short amount of time it would be open before I make my mortgage app. Advice? I also need to pay down the principal left on my car loan a bit, which time will help, and i'm going to try to make about $1000 in extra principal payments before we apply for a mortgage, so the decreased debt should help a bit. Any other suggestions?? I haven't ordered my scores through this site yet (I probably will next month tho, when my history may have changed a bit...), but I ordered my Experian VantageScore from their site and that was about 800, and I ordered my Equifax Fico and that was exactly 700... but somehow equifax doesn't have my collections data, so my other scores would be a bit lower on the Fico scale, i'm guessing. Hopefully the collections info will be deleted and help a lot, but i need some other tips to pick up my score a few points! BTW, you know that program that myFICO.com sells that lets you alter credit report data to see how it would affect your score? Is it worth it?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: increasing score... i need specific suggestions

I get my true scores fron myfico. these are the true FICO scores. A 700 is good and will raise as you pay things off. I don't see any need to open more cards.

A mortgage co. goes by ratio...income to debt. so the less that you owe makes them happy.

That is all that I know about mortgages...........others will answer you also.

As far as scores go...everyone agrees that FICO scores are the way to go,at least right now.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info. Does anyone else think that its not necessary to open another cc right now? I don't really want the inquiry on my report, but i'm wondering if the extra history and available credit would help? I can't really think what else to do to help boost my score. I may try to decrease the cc charging a bit to keep it under 9% util for a while, but when your payment history is solid, it doesnt seem like things affect your score much.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

The amount of credit you have is also an issue. If you are young and only have a few TLs on your report even if the score is high may be a sign to lenders. I suggest you start talking to a broker now and see what they say.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with Bamf70. You should talk to a realtor. Your scores seems to be high enough to aquire a loan at prime rate. I purchased my home at 5.87% when my score was only 653. To determine how much of a loan you will qualify for they will take you income before taxes and divide it by your total debt(this does not include your monthly utilities). 

Watch out for all the creative financing that is out there because I see so many people that purchased homes 3 or more years ago that are now losing their homes.  I would personally go for the traditional 30 year fixed rate even if I can afford to go with the 15 yr mortgage. This way if you want you can double your principle payment each month and you can still pay if off w/i 15 years and if you don't have the extra money one month you don't have to send it and you will not be penalized. 

Good luck!
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.