cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is a fraud alert a big deal--limitations ?

tag
coachmiff
Regular Contributor

is a fraud alert a big deal--limitations ?

Exp put a fraud alert on my cb's-- is it a big deal?--what are the limatations --damage to fico--help?

Navy Siggy Cash Rewards 25K , Navy plat visa 25k,navy go 25k, Navy Check 15K, , USAA Am Exp 18K, USAA MC Rate Advantage 18K, Discover IT 18.5K, PayPal Extras MC 7.5K, Chase Military Star MC 2.5K, Military Star 8.05k, Wallmart discover 7.5k, Amex bce 25k,Boa cash rewards25k, southwest chase 4k, nasa cr 30k,nasa rew 5k,barc rewards 25k=279k+ scores 750 across the board
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: is a fraud alert a big deal--limitations ?

First you should order your three reports and if you see suspicious activity (activity that isn't yours) you should file a police report.

It can be a big deal if your identity gets stolen.
Try calling the bureaus to ask about the fraud alert. They may require you to send in documents such as a copy of your photo id and a copy of a recent utility bill to prove that its you.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 2 of 14
newportguy
Frequent Contributor

@coachmiff wrote:

Exp put a fraud alert on my cb's-- is it a big deal?--what are the limatations --damage to fico--help?

When your credit file has a fraud alert on it, any time you apply for new credit you will have to provide your info in your report over the phone with whom you applied credit with.

No it does not damage your fico score!!!!

Current Score: myFico EQ - 794 ( 11/ 29/2012 ) amexFico EX - 787 (10/15/2012) myFico TU - 780 (11/29/2012) Credit Sesame - 809 (02/04/2013) Goal Score * 800 Club *
****** Garden Club Member -- Last HP Jan 3rd 2013 *******
*** Amex - BCP 10 K * PenFed - CR 5 K * Amex - GDSM 5 K *
Discover - IT 5 K ***** NO MORE APPS FOR ME IN 2013 *****
Message 3 of 14
newportguy
Frequent Contributor

@webhopper wrote:
First you should order your three reports and if you see suspicious activity (activity that isn't yours) you should file a police report.

It can be a big deal if your identity gets stolen.
Try calling the bureaus to ask about the fraud alert. They may require you to send in documents such as a copy of your photo id and a copy of a recent utility bill to prove that its you.

+1 ..... you need to find out why they put a FA on your file

Current Score: myFico EQ - 794 ( 11/ 29/2012 ) amexFico EX - 787 (10/15/2012) myFico TU - 780 (11/29/2012) Credit Sesame - 809 (02/04/2013) Goal Score * 800 Club *
Message 4 of 14
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Somehow, a few years ago, one ended up on my EX report.  I called them and they said I put it there.  I did not.  I asked for it to be removed and they told me no, it will stay until 2015.

To this day, I am unable to pull my own CR from them.

Message 5 of 14
newportguy
Frequent Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

Somehow, a few years ago, one ended up on my EX report.  I called them and they said I put it there.  I did not.  I asked for it to be removed and they told me no, it will stay until 2015.

To this day, I am unable to pull my own CR from them.

I do not understand this!!!!!! I got a FA on all my reports and i can pull them anytime i want . Did you try pulling your report using ACR??? If ACR don't work try this.   https://www.experian.com/consumer/cac/InvalidateSession.do?code=CDI

Message 6 of 14
ceemee2203
Regular Contributor

I too have FA on all 3 reports and have no trouble pulling my CRs. I can even use sites like CK, CS, and Quizzle. The only site I'm unable to use is Credit.com because they won't activate accounts when there's a FA on your CR. 

I also subscribe to myFico.

Current Cards: AMEX Everyday ($15k), AMEX BCE ($20k), Amex Platinum, Arrival ($11.5k), Merrill+ ($7.5k), Freedom ($5k), Double Cash ($6.5k)

2/16 - 864 Fico EQ (CITI); 818 Fico Ex (AMEX)
Message 7 of 14
Barris
Established Member

Intial Alerts stay on for 90 days. In my experience, opening a new line of credit becomes a bothersome process. But I have never heard of IFAs staying on reports for any period longer than 3 months, unless they are renewed that is. It would depend on the type of alert though. IFAs stay on for 90 days, EFAs stay on for 7 and ADMAs go after a year. Again, forgot to mention, if you got a EFA on your report, you are entitled to 2 free credit reports within a period of 12 months (unless you have it removed earlier).

Message 8 of 14
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I know how long they are supposed to stay.  I'm relating what EX told me.  They refuse to remove it and it has been 4 years.  At one point I could pull my report and it stated on the report the FA would not be removed until 2015.  Shortly thereafter, I was no longer able to pull the reports.

I was told it HAD to be me that put it there.  Nope,never did.

Since I don't apply for credit anymore I am not too worried about it at the moment. It just irritates me that the CRAs can do things like this.  IMO, they are poorly trained and just don't know anything about the FCRA and FDCPA or anything else.

Message 9 of 14
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Fraud alerts are placed in a consumer's credit file ONLY at the request of a consumer of his/her designated representative.  The consumer ALWAYS has the right to simply notify the CRA to remove any fraud alert.  FCRA 695A.

When a CRA sees issues of potential fraud or identity theft, they will often take it upon themselves to infer that the consumer has construtively requested such an alert, and place it in the consumer's file.  Not necessarily bad, but the consumer can always simply instruct them to remove it.  It is not a third party process over which the consumer has no control.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.