Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is this worth a shot? re: paying OC via snail mail

tag
wvasweetness
Contributor

is this worth a shot? re: paying OC via snail mail

I have an account in Collections with Chase from a few years back, and it's been DV. I have tried NUMEROUS time to contact the CA - both by email, phone and certified letter. The first time I contacted them was nearly 8 weeks ago. I leave messages at their voice mail (no automated system - it goes straight to VM) and have never gotten a call back. I got no reply to my certified letter.

Thanks to these forums, I now know I might be able to pay the OC directly. So I called this morning and talked to a Chase rep about it. She said that she couldn't take a payment over the phone since the account had been sold to a collection agency, but that it was "worth trying" to send a payment (check) to them via snail mail b/c it's rare that they won't accept a payment via snail mail. So I got the address.

If I send it via snail mail, the worst thing that can happen is that they will return the check - right? And if they cash it, I will have paid the OC and can then dispute the CA taglines on my CRs, right? What do you think - is it worth a shot?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: is this worth a shot? re: paying OC via snail mail

(1) Stop calling the CA!!!!!!!!!

(2) You are saying that they didn't answer your DV?   If they didn't answer they aren't alloed to report - they are in VIOLATION.

Confirm the answer to #2 and we'll go from there....
Message 2 of 5
wvasweetness
Contributor

They DID answer my DV letter - and everything checked out.

I was trying to contact them to pay the debt, but now that I know that I can pay the OC - I would like to try that route first. That is where the questions come in...

So I called this morning and talked to a Chase rep about it. She said that she couldn't take a payment over the phone since the account had been sold to a collection agency, but that it was "worth trying" to send a payment (check) to them via snail mail b/c it's rare that they won't accept a payment via snail mail. So I got the address.

If I send it via snail mail, the worst thing that can happen is that they will return the check - right? And if they cash it, I will have paid the OC and can then dispute the CA taglines on my CRs, right? What do you think - is it worth a shot?
Thanks in advance.

Message Edited by wvasweetness on 02-15-2008 09:10 AM
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

The CA owns the account now - PFD the CA (not Chase) in writing before sending any funds.
Message 4 of 5
scramblingin2007
Established Contributor

wvasweetness wrote:
I have an account in Collections with Chase from a few years back, and it's been DV. I have tried NUMEROUS time to contact the CA - both by email, phone and certified letter. The first time I contacted them was nearly 8 weeks ago. I leave messages at their voice mail (no automated system - it goes straight to VM) and have never gotten a call back. I got no reply to my certified letter.

Thanks to these forums, I now know I might be able to pay the OC directly. So I called this morning and talked to a Chase rep about it. She said that she couldn't take a payment over the phone since the account had been sold to a collection agency, but that it was "worth trying" to send a payment (check) to them via snail mail b/c it's rare that they won't accept a payment via snail mail. So I got the address.

They did not answer your dv? Ladyscarlet is correct....they are in violation. do not pay the oc, this will do nothing to the collection that is OWNED by the ca....
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.