Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

jc penny

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

jc penny

I have a jc penny account that was that was turn over to a law office.  ex reporting account as open, tu reporting account as closed how will paying law office affect my credit score?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: jc penny

If JCP turned collections over to a law office but did not sell the debt, deal only with JCP. Pay JCP and the ca if any reproting will fall of your report. Make sure when you pay JCP that they will tell the ca to recall all negative information that the ca put on your report. Also see if you can get JCP to report the account as current/pays as agrees. It will not remove any lates that they have reported but will look better then them showing your account as in collections.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

account not with collection agency.  Called jcpenny and try to pay account with them and they told me I had to contact law office
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

The law office that they refered you to is either a ca or they own the debt and not JCP. If JCP still owns the debt I think that you have the right under federal law to refuse to deal with the ca and deal only with the oc (JCP). I may be wrong about this though. Hopefully someone else will chime in and clarify this as I do not know what the actual law would be to cite, but have heard this for years.

If the law office actually owns the debt you would have to deal with them. Either way send a DV letter to law office for full media validation. Make the law office prove that they have the legal right to collect the debt.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.