Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

just started chapter 7 filing

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

just started chapter 7 filing

I have a meeting with the creditors on friday, what should i expect to happen at this meeting.

Also how soon can you start to build your credit. What are some tips to build your score back up? Usually what is your score after bankruptcy filing?

I have been put in this position because of a jerk who did not pay on a car. Prior to this I paid all bills on time. I do not have a mortgage, only student loans and I have reaffirmed my personal car that I have never been late paying. 

Message Edited by bktj on 04-17-2007 09:22 AM
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: just started chapter 7 filing

Hello....I filed for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy in October 2006. At the 341 Meeting of Creditors, you will meet with the Trustee. He/She will verify that you are you. Your creditors have the option of attending this meeting. Per my lawyer, most of the time they do not show up. The meeting will last all of about 5 minutes.

In my experience, I was able to start rebuilding my credit relatively soon. I received an offer for a car from a dealership. I wanted a new car (well one that was not the one I was currently driving) so I returned the car to BofA. Went to the dealership and got another car. Even before my bankruptcy was even discharged. It was discharged in January 2007.

I have been receiving too many offers for car loans and credit cards. Recently opened 2 with a $300 limit. As well as a Target card. My credit was already bad before the bankruptcy with scores right below the 600 mark. They only dropped about 10 points w/each bureau. So with the score thing, I believe it depends on  your current credit rating. Not sure. I recently enrolled in Identity Guard through Costco. All 3 reports and scores updated every 30 days. Comes with alerts as soon as something changes on your report as well as a credit analyzer. I love the Credit analyzer. I can play with different scenarios to see what king of impact it would have on my credit score.

I'm making sure to pay on time and keep CC balances low. Seems to be helping. Score is back to what it was before the Chapter 7. I think time will be the best healer of credit though.

Sorry for the novel.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much for your response.

I am just trying to get my head wrapped around this situation that someone else put me in. So it takes about  a year for it to be discharged?

What happens after the meeting of the creditors and the time of discharge?
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

No No. It only takes about 3 months to be discharged. Nothing much happens. Check out this site. It was really helpful for me. It will show you a timeline of what happens.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.