Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

keep balance under 1%?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

keep balance under 1%?

hello to everyone that reads my message and especially to those that reply! my situation: i have four credit cards with limits at $1k, $500, $500, and $200. they all have zero balances (finally!!). but from my readings on these forums, i'm confused now. i should have some balance on the cards? under 1% of the limit? i have already established credit history so will the 1% advice help me out? thanks in advance for any help.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

You do need to keep the cards active and they stop being...

You do need to keep the cards active and they stop being considered as such by the score after 4 mos of inactivity.  I would recommend using all for alternately to pay one or two bills with the limits you've mentioned, say the cable or cell phone then PIF every month with the cash you would have used to make the payment.  That way you establish a good payment history and maintain low utilization.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

ok...got it! but another?

thanks for the reply/advice! here's another question i have: when i am shopping for the lowest interest, as i go bank to bank and apply for the loan, how many inquiries can i make until it adversely affects my credit score? thanks again for your help.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

The very first inquiry will adversely affect your score....

The very first inquiry will adversely affect your score. Just additional ones may affect it more. However, if you do all your rate shopping in a close timespan (generally something like a several days to a week) the formula accounts for this as rateshopping (meaning typically these multiple inquiries get counted as one, but this in a few ways depends how the inquiries are coded) and you won't have anywhere near as an adverse effect as if you say had a hard inquiry every week for a month or the like.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.