Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

late payment fico score down by 81 points

tag
jony

late payment fico score down by 81 points

Hi,

This is my first post here. Due to some past negligence and not knowing how the credit score system works, we were somewhere around 530s on all our credict scores. That's when I started using myFICO and rebuilt the credit to EQ 735 TU 666. Thanks to all the informative posts here.

Yesterday, EQ went from 735 to 654, 81 points down in one day. It shows I have a late payment on Walmart GE credit card by 60 days. Now the thing is I always set up the auto payment on all cards or accounts. I never revolve the credit. All accounts are paid in full every month. But I found even after trying setting up walmart credit card on auto payments, it never went thru.

So yesterday I paid account in full when I found out the late payment. Today I talked to walmart credit card support and requested to remove the delinquency remark. They refused to remove it saying we missed the payments last year too. I remember auto payment not working last year and I talked to customer care about that last year too. and late payments were paid within a week. We have maintained a good history with them. 

Now I don't know if writing a GW letter would help me or not. and whom should I write it to Equifax, Walmart or Synchrony bank(account is sent them for collection). It took me almost 2.5 years to reach to EQ 735 and now I'm back to 654, 81 points down just due to one missed payment. I'm so much in shock. Please suggest me what to do.

Thank you

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Josh611
Regular Contributor

Re: late payment fico score down by 81 points

Sorry to hear. This is why I will never trust autopay. I would much rather do it on my own

Current FICO Scores EQ 782,TU 755, EX 754

AMEX BCE $24k, Quicksilver $10k, Venture $13k, Sallie Mae Mastercard $8.3K Chase Freedom 5k, Discover IT $3.4k, Kohl's Charge $2.5k, Capital One Secured $801
Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Josh611 wrote:

Sorry to hear. This is why I will never trust autopay. I would much rather do it on my own

Sorry to hear, OP. I have autopay on some of my accounts, but I have an alert on my phone the day before each is due reminding me to double check them. Maybe a system like that will help you too.

Message 3 of 21
EW800
Valued Contributor

Sorry to hear of this. I am not a big fan of autopay either. All it takes is one glitch and it can take up to 7 years to recover or resolve. Smiley Sad
Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 839; EQ8: 845; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 4 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is what I do:

1. Never use store cards. You wind up with too many cards to keep track of, and you WILL forget.

2. If you HAVE to break rule #1, to get a large discount say, then pay it off at once. Don't let it ride until the statement cuts. You WILL forget.

3. Set up autopay on all your cards BUT treat it is as a fallback -- try and pay in full before autopay cuts. One day it WILL fail.

On the two cards that I use all the time I have TWO autopays running. I have a push payment from my bank that runs $100 into both cards every month on statement cut date. Then I have the card's own autopay pull the full balance from my bank on the due date.

Why two? Because if one fails I don't get hit with a late payment. The $100 push payment is much less than I owe BUT it is going to be more than the minimum payment due. If the main autopay fails, worst case, interest on the difference between what I owed and $100. But no hit to my credit history.

I have the autopay run against an account linked to a line of credit. My goal is not to use that line of credit, to have the funds I need in place to pay my balance in full BUT if I ever do my sums wrong and don't have enough in the account to cover the credit card then it just runs the line of credit down. Again, the penalty for a mistake is interest charges on that PLOC, not a ding on my credit record.

Fingers crossed, this has kept me from missing payments due to my own mistake or somebody else's. I don't trust autopay AND I also don't trust my memory to be flawless. I have a system in place that allows a mistake here and there WITHOUT resulting in a missed payment.

Message 5 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Canadian in Seattle - thanks for the hints on autopay.  I've just come out of major rebuilding mode and the autopay on my accounts has me nervous.  BoA especially since they don't have a minimum or pif option like Chase -- just a set $$$ amount.  

Message 6 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I don't like autopay, I'd much rather be in control of when and how much I'm paying exactly
Message 7 of 21
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

I think autopay is an excellent tool and I use it for almost all my recurring bills but I also confirm that each and every scheduled payment has actually gone through as planned.

Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Op if you want to write goodwill letters, synch is the place to write them. Neither walmart no the cras can give you any satisfaction in that regard. 

Message 9 of 21
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

I have auto pay set up on all accounts for min payment and do manually pay before. That is my safety net in case I should forget to pay Smiley Embarassed

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.