Frequent Contributor

loan approval through a credit union

when you apply for a loan through a credit union do you have a higher chance of being approved if you apply in person versus through their website? is it easier to get a bill consolidation loan than a personal loan?
Visitor

Re: loan approval through a credit union

Where you apply has no bearing on it.  What's in your credit report is what is going to make the decision.  So feel free to apply in whatever method  you would prefer.

Epic Contributor

While I generally agree, I dont think it is that black and white.

Your CU representative has the approval authority.  Credit decisions are not made simply in terms of your paper FICO score.

If you have something personal to add positively to your approval process, then talk to them face to face.  Put humanity into it.

You have a much better chance with a CU that with a major bank..

I say, do it personally.

Valued Contributor

I'm old school,  I say do all business face to face whenever  possible.  It can't hurt.  I believe it gives you an edge.  Good luck to  you.

FICOS
TU 807 5/11/15
EX 808 4/17/15
EQ 832 5/7/15
NASA 30K / / Amex 20k / / Chase Freedom 10.6k// Venture 20K / / / / / SD'd US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k, In their final resting place, can you hear the sound of taps? Winners never quit, and quitters never win

Imhotrodcrazy wrote:

I'm old school,  I say do all business face to face whenever  possible.  It can't hurt.  I believe it gives you an edge.  Good luck to  you.

I agree. Face to face is the best way if possible.

From a BK years ago to:
8/09 TU-765 EQ- 783
9/09 EX pulled by lender 802
3/10 EQ- 800

You can do the same thing with hard work

Credit Scoring 101
Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads
Credit Problems Which Is Worse?
Whats In Your FICO Score

Epic Contributor

[ Edited ]

There are certain factors that most basic CU loan applications dont cover, and surely FICO does not cover, that you can talk to them about.

What is your total income?  How long employed?  Stability of income?  Total assets in your bank/investment accounts? Total debt?  Lots of stuff.

FICO covers % util of current credit balance against total credit limits.  It does not in any way meaure debt/income ratio.

I dont know how much you are seeking in your loan, but maybe they would be willing to attach some of your assets and make it a secured loan?

Maybe a HELOC as an alternative, if you have sufficient equity in current real property?  All things to talk about with them.  No mortgage lendor, for example,  would ever extend a substantial mortgage loan without looking first into these additional items.

To use an extreme example, if you applied to a CU with a credit score of 580, and laid out for them a Donald Trump level income/asset portfolio, I certainly dont think your low FICO score would be the determining factor.

Regular Contributor

I agree w/ the above mentioned advise.  Definitely apply in person, it works!  A couple years ago, my scores were in the 485-495 range.  I was trying to get a new vehicle and finance companies through car dealerships wouldn't touch me w/ a 10 ft. pole.  After applying in person....and speaking directly w/ the LO....I was approved.  Subsequently, from this one act of kindness, I have been able to overhaul my credit profile.  After six months, I was able to approach the same LO for a unsecured CC.  Then, after several more months I was able to get another small signature loan.  All of this was based on the relationship we established in person.

Starting Score: TU04: 603 EQ: 613
Current Score: TU04: 667/EQ: 670/ EXP(LO Pull): 676
Goal Score: 710

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.