Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lol, is this how a judgement starts?

tag
CreditDrama85
Established Contributor

lol, is this how a judgement starts?

ok,  i have read about past due debts turning into judgements.....i received notification that i was to appear in court regard a past due bill.

i just paid that bill....so when i go to court, will it be dismissed? will i have to pay attorney fees to the other side (which they are demanding)? if so, CAN a judgement get entered for attorney's fees alone?

what should i do? i don't want record of any judgement entered against me....
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
braznyc
Frequent Contributor

Re: lol, is this how a judgement starts?

I don't know if you'll have to pay any fees etc. What I'm sure you can do is plead your case with proof of payment, it may not go any further. I don't know the laws concerning a paid judgment still being recorded, but I'm sure you can get it vacated etc. Again you're in a better position because it's paid. I'd still show-up in court JUST to ensure nothing gets recorded. So take all your proof that it's paid.

I'm sure someone who has been through this will chime in with a better answer. Good luck!!
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: lol, is this how a judgement starts?

A judgment should not be issued if the debt is paid.  A judgment does not just happen from being sued; it is the end result of being sued and losing in court.

If you have proof that the debt for which you are being sued is paid in full, you have good chances of walking away without a judgment against you, since the suit against you is apparently without merit.

Edit: I just noticed you said you just paid this bill.  Do you mean you paid it after they filed suit?  If so, did they agree to drop the suit?  If not, why did you not make that a condition of payment?

To answer your question, yes, they can get a judgment for just attorneys fees if that's what the court decides.

Message Edited by cheddar on 04-09-2008 01:00 AM
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.