cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lol, it sure is insane how different my FICO and FAKO scores are.

tag
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: lol, it sure is insane how different my FICO and FAKO scores are.

Nothing insane about it.  Different models use different algorithms that evaluate report data differently.  You should expect different algorithms to produce different results.  The variance between two models, the tending and so on can vary.  Two different models can, in certain situations genrate numbers that are coincidentally close to each other or even the same but keep in mind that coincidental and causal are two entirely different things.

You cannot use a score generated by one model to determine a score generrated by a different model even if both models are FICO's.  Keep in mind that there isn't just one FICO model and that FICO has many models used by creditors.  FICO's different models can and do produce different scores as well.  See also the Understanding FICO Scoring subforum and its stickies.

@Anonymous wrote:

I wish my FICO was at least a little bit closer to my Credit Karma FAKO

VantageScore is not designed to mimic any of FICO's models.  The intent behind it is to replace FICO as the indistry standard.  See also:

http://www.vantagescore.com/

Granted, it's their market speak but VantageScore cannot be "more predictive, consistent, stable" etc if it just mimics a FICO model.

@Anonymous wrote:

gotta love those reliable numbers... 

They're reliable.  However, like any tool you need to understand how to use the tool.  If you want to know what your EX FICO 8 is then you have to pull your EX FICO 8.  If you want to know what your EQ FICO 5 is then you need to pull your EQ FICO 5.  If you want to know what your TU VantageScore 3.0 is then you need to pull your TU VantageScore 3.0.  You can't pull one score to determine another.  You can't use a TU VantageScore 3.0 to determine a TU FICO 8.  Always consider the specific scoring model and the CRA when looking at scores.  Also consider the relevance of a given model/CRA to a given creidtor.  I.e. VantageScores can be useful if you actually have creditors that use them.

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

My DBF's FICOs are high 787-801 but CK FAKOS are 697-711. Huge difference for him.

Message 12 of 17
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

My Vantage scores are 785+

My FICO 8, nowhere close, now 698/711/724 though that's with some unpretty utilization testing in there, but likely only 5-10 points higher without that.  There's a number of reasons for that based on anecdotal data, vis a vis I gained 60 points for my mortgage reporting there whereas I lost 20-22 on FICO 8 for the same entry as a result of now "horrifying" installment utilization, and I have no real ability to offset that 20 point loss anytime in the next decade or longer.

Also VS ignores my paid tax lien, and my paid collection as well.  I don't have outstanding debts to anyone, but FICO still penalizes me significantly for having had any awkwardness in the past whereas VS is much nicer to people who have gotten righteous.

This is even with VS's apparently hitting me harder for my app spree than FICO did; by this time next year I may well break 800 on VS 3.0 which'll be kinda sweet even if it's not very meaningful for me from a credit perspective.

        
Message 13 of 17
Kelsey_H
Former myFICO Employee

Hey guys, these stories are fascinating. I wish more people knew that there could be such a substantial difference. Help us spread the word!  Submit your stories at FICOScore.com/stories. 

Message 14 of 17
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

My Vantage scores are 785+

My FICO 8, nowhere close, now 698/711/724 though that's with some unpretty utilization testing in there, but likely only 5-10 points higher without that.  There's a number of reasons for that based on anecdotal data, vis a vis I gained 60 points for my mortgage reporting there whereas I lost 20-22 on FICO 8 for the same entry as a result of now "horrifying" installment utilization, and I have no real ability to offset that 20 point loss anytime in the next decade or longer.

Also VS ignores my paid tax lien, and my paid collection as well.  I don't have outstanding debts to anyone, but FICO still penalizes me significantly for having had any awkwardness in the past whereas VS is much nicer to people who have gotten righteous.

This is even with VS's apparently hitting me harder for my app spree than FICO did; by this time next year I may well break 800 on VS 3.0 which'll be kinda sweet even if it's not very meaningful for me from a credit perspective.

Don't hold me to it but, I think you will regain the points lost on Fico 8 around 90 days after your 1st payment - assuming no other new credit. 

Let us know.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 15 of 17
Hokies2379
Established Contributor

VantageScore is not designed to mimic any of FICO's models.  The intent behind it is to replace FICO as the industry standard.  See also:

http://www.vantagescore.com/

As nuts as Fico seems to drive me, I sure as heck hope this ^ never happens.

Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:

Also VS ignores my paid tax lien

I think you will find a paid tax lien hits you for 4 points on VS3.0 when it comes off

I've had enough of them that I an say so with relative certainty... 4 points each even if they are over 4 years old

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.