Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lots of credit questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

lots of credit questions

I have been using the forums doing some researching and I still have a few questions. 
1) My mother has been paying my dads student loans for seven years and they have been divorced for 9, they have garnished her checks before she became disabled and could no longer work, now that she is on a fixed income, and can no longer pay them their money, they are threatening now to take her to court and sue for the remaining amount. My Dad is disabled also, and I think that is why they came after my mom. But how can they do this since at the time they started coming after her they were divorced? and is there anyway to get them to leave her alone? she barely has money to feed herself much less pay them.
2) I have a judgement aganst me, it is a default judgement and I would like to know how best to go about getting rid of it. I believe the total is a little over 2500.00 for a $233 payment that the creditor refused to take payments on. This happened a year or so ago so I know I can't dispute it but has anyone been able to do a settlement with these types of things?
3) Are there any sites that you can get a free score from without having a credit card besides eloan? 
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: lots of credit questions

bump
Message 2 of 9
oogiemoo
Regular Contributor

studentmom I am a newbie but I had a judgement against me and I did settle this account for less than what the settlement was. I dealt with the OC directly. I asked them what it would take to settle this account and it was about 65% of the total owed. They accepted and even let me due it in 3 payments since it was about 4500.00. If I were you I would talk to the OC directly and find out what their bottom line is to settle this account. I did this over the phone but asked for them to send me written confirmation on our agreement to which they did. As for your other questions I will leave those to someone else.  Good luck!
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

so they let you settle even after it had went to court and what about attorney's fees?
Message 4 of 9
oogiemoo
Regular Contributor

All that stuff was added onto my intitial debt. meaning my original debt was like 5000.00 and once they hit me with all their fees (attorney and whatnots)
Message 5 of 9
oogiemoo
Regular Contributor

sorry didn't get to finish my dog decided she wanted on my lap and hit send....as I was saying and was so rudely interupted...My debt to them started at about 5000.00 when it was all said and done it was around 6300.00+ ( I forget exact amounts anymore) and they settled for about 4500.00 give or take. Hope this helps. They want their money that's what I have found and most are willing to work with you. Fear and lack of money kept me from dealing with it. When I finally got into the position of offering them a decent amount of money I made the call and asked what amount we could settle this for.  They told me and like I said even worked with me by letter me do it in 3 payments....in a short period of time I should add...but it still helped.
Message 6 of 9
oogiemoo
Regular Contributor

btw the typos are not the dogs fault I just can't type worth a darn!Smiley Very Happy
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know the feeling, wish I had taken keyboarding lol

So it went off your credit report then or it was still there just showed paid, if it was still there did i help your score showing paid? Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions about the judgement, now if I could find some answers to help my mom.
Message 8 of 9
oogiemoo
Regular Contributor

I honestly can't say whether or not it helped. I wasn't monitoring my scores at that time. It is still on my CR but I have sent a gw and haven't heard anything yet.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.