Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

<30% of Balance Question

tag
wop0101
New Visitor

<30% of Balance Question

I keep reading to keep <30% balance on revolving credit, my question is if that is weighted monthly or just a snapshot of the amount at any one time. I have a card with rewards so I typically max it out ($500) over a couple weeks then just pay it off in full online (never keep a balance for interest). Which of these 2 options should I practice:

1. Spend $150 a week -> pay the balance in full online -> rinse and repeat (my preferred choice due to rewards earned)

2. Spend $150 a month -> pay the balance in full online

Is the balance looked at on a monthly basis or just at any random point in time? <--I guess this is the simple question I just should have asked but I've done all this typing so I hate to erase it...

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
user5387
Valued Contributor

Re: <30% of Balance Question

The key balance is typically that of the statement date, which is reported to the credit bureaus.

There are a few CCs that report the current balance at the end of the month, which is different than the statement date.

Message 2 of 7
wop0101
New Visitor

@user5387 wrote:

The key balance is typically that of the statement date, which is reported to the credit bureaus.

There are a few CCs that report the current balance at the end of the month, which is different than the statement date.

Okay, so the 30% rule only applies to the statement balance and is not an ongoing snapshot of current activity? Meaning: how much I spend a month is inconsequential as long as the balance is paid in full by statement date, correct?

Message 3 of 7
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@wop0101 wrote:

@user5387 wrote:

Okay, so the 30% rule only applies to the statement balance and is not an ongoing snapshot of current activity? Meaning: how much I spend a month is inconsequential as long as the balance is paid in full by statement date, correct?

Correct 99.9% of the time, and the remaining 0.1% is irrelevant beyond the incredibly short term (occasionally if there's a big change in your usage pattern, BOFA and a few other lenders will do a mid-cycle report, but this isn't a common event).

        
Message 4 of 7
wop0101
New Visitor

@Revelate wrote:

Correct 99.9% of the time, and the remaining 0.1% is irrelevant beyond the incredibly short term (occasionally if there's a big change in your usage pattern, BOFA and a few other lenders will do a mid-cycle report, but this isn't a common event).

Awesome, thank you to both of you. +1 internet points each

Message 5 of 7
user5387
Valued Contributor

@wop0101 wrote:

@user5387 wrote:

Yes, that's right.

One additional point -- there's nothing magic about 30%.  For the best scores, you want utilization lower than that.  For example, lots of folks around here pay off all their cards save one before the statement date, and they let that one report a small balance.

It's also true that individual lenders may or may not like what they see on your reports, independent of score.

Message 6 of 7
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

I.e. 30% is the recommended max.  Ideal will be much lower -- typically 10% or less.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.