Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

medical collection question

tag
Ausfarm
Regular Contributor

medical collection question

Okay, I'm trying to help someone clear up their credit.  This person has a medical collection being reported by the CA that began reporting earlier this month.  We tried a PFD to the CA before we knew any better.  All we got back was some validation stuff (copy of theh bill).  I did some research and learned that this particular CA consistently refuses to delete stuff from credit reports.  I've searched and searched and I have found no one that has had success with this CA (it's West Asset Management if you're wondering).

So, we tried to PFD the OC (hospital) except we can't seem to find exactly who at the hospital would be able to negotiate a PFD.  We've mailed off letters w/ no response.  Their website is of no help.  Calling the hospital doesn't help.  The hospital only refers you to this third-party agency (not the collection agency) that handles all of their billing.  Everytime we contact the hospital they insist that we call this third-party agency who, of course, says they can't settle for less than 80% and can do nothing about the getting the collection removed.  As I understand it, this third-party agency handles accounts for multiple hospitals.  I imagine, a lot of hospital's have this structure now.  They've outsourced their billing.  Anyway, I'm trying to find someone in the hospital's organization that can pull the account from the CA and tell the CA to delete the account.  Any ideas?

Message Edited by Ausfarm on 11-27-2007 12:26 PM
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: medical collection question

Use the HiPAA letter and sent to the head of Accounting and also the hospital's legal dept
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this a valid bill?  It sounds as though the debt is valid.  If that's the case, I doubt that you will have any success in having it removed.  Basically, you would have to pay or "settle" the account, and wait for it to fall off the credit report after the sol. The hospital has sold the account to the credit agency.  Because it appears that it is a valid account, the only one in standing to remove this from your credit would be the credit agency that bought the account.  Sorry I don't have better news...
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

How old is the debt?  If past SOL, the only way they can get any money from you is by reaching an agreement with you (On YOUR terms).  If you can, wait out SOL and then offer.

Also, DV the CA - make them tell you if they own it or are only collecting for the hospital.

Message Edited by Lady_Scarlet on 11-28-2007 10:09 AM
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.