Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my disappearing death report

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

my disappearing death report

apologies if this is the wrong section.

So, I just apped for an amex carda and denied. The important part of the denial says "risk score not available due to report of deceased status" from experian.

I call amex about this first. They say that I am seeing it correctly and they pushed for a manual review, so I let them and they confirmed this did come from experian as far as they could tell. They say to make sure to call experian. 

Now I called the generic automated number and ordered a report in the mail. I found another number to get me a human to explain my problem, that is someone says I'm dead but am not. Called that number and the lady double and triple checked her system and says she did not see anything of the sort of my report on her end.

What else can or should I do other than wait on pins and needles for this to bite me in the bud? Also, any ideas what might have happened to cause this? Thanks y'all! (Yes, I say "y'all" Smiley Tongue)

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Re: my disappearing death report

Glad to hear the reports of your demise were greatly exaggerated.

Do you have a way to pull your EX report? Annual free credit report, or $1 credit check total 7 day trial?
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, I should have been more clear. First I called Amex, they said that this was reported from Ex.

I then called a public automated number for Ex. and ordered a report that will take a while to come. I also found another number so I could get to a human. Now according to the lady I spoke with, that death report appears nowhere on my report.

Its a case of amex says ex says so, but ex says nu-uh I never said that.

I even tried to dispute online at experians site, but didn't see that to dispute. Just have to wait for report to come I guess. I know I will have to start a letter campaign if it does show up, but since nobody can find it-yet, I don't know what I should be doing.

Message 3 of 4
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry, I should have been more clear. First I called Amex, they said that this was reported from Ex.

I then called a public automated number for Ex. and ordered a report that will take a while to come. I also found another number so I could get to a human. Now according to the lady I spoke with, that death report appears nowhere on my report.

Its a case of amex says ex says so, but ex says nu-uh I never said that.

I even tried to dispute online at experians site, but didn't see that to dispute. Just have to wait for report to come I guess. I know I will have to start a letter campaign if it does show up, but since nobody can find it-yet, I don't know what I should be doing.

No, I got what you were saying. I was just thinking that if you could pull your EX report you might see what Amex is seeing and EX claims they don't see. I guess you can just wait for your ordered report and see what it says. If it does not indicate you died, perhaps you can call Amex and offer to send it to them.

Very strange. As I understand it the Social Security Administration is the government agency that keeps records of reported deaths and the credit bureaus get it from there. Do you have an online account at Social Security? If not you can create one at www.ssa.gov. If they think you're dead they will probably deny you creating an account. If they let you make an account it will show current earnings & SS tax contributions, indicating they don't think you're dead.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.