Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my problem: considerable cash and lots of debt

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

my problem: considerable cash and lots of debt

Here's my story.  I am a disabled US veteran on social security and VA disability.  For 8 years I have had a fiduciary handling my check.  The first one of 6 years was a fraud and is still being investigated.  The second one has been great.  I asked to handle my own affairs again and my request was granted effective this month.  My current payee has saved about $15,000 which I will be getting in a lump sum.  I'm also saving $500-$1000 per month but plan to move to better quarters soon and do some traveling.   Because of my foolish financial behavior (much caused by gambling) I amassed a $124,000 debt on a home equity line of credit.   The house doesn't belong to me, but I was the primary borrower, bailing out my stepmother out of debt back in 2006.  I have lost contact with her and she does not respond to my inquires (or the bank's).  The loan enters repayment phase in about a year.  I also ran up a $50,000 credit card debt in 2010 and that has been settled.  I had countless 120+ lates but no bankruptcy.  The home equity loan was late 11 times, most recently a 60-day late in September 2013.  I have been good since then, and the home equity balance is down to $110,000.  My credit scores have rebounded to 706-717, no inquiries since June 2015 (2,5,6 respectively on the CRA's), and I hold 7 credit cards with a total utilization of near zero. 

Bottom line is that I have ceased my credit card applications and have not gambled in 18 months.  I plan to make payments on the loan for the next 16 years @$1000/month, assuming I live that long.  That leaves me about $3000/month to live on.  I may try to get some part-time work later this year.  I plan to put $3000 in a 3% CD, the rest in money market and maybe a few grand toward the loan.  The credit cards?  Well, I use all of them from time to time, primarily the last one I got (Discover) and pay them off as soon as I use them.  I'm also taking out student loans for part-time study.  These loans may not need to be repaid because I'm permanently disabled, but once I apply for dismissal that ends my scholastic endeavours.   I am about to turn 55.

I have thought about closing some of my cards but seem to have the habit of rotating them.  I pay for two of them (CSP and AMEX senior Gold).  I travel and eat out a lot, so I was happy to get the CSP in January 2015.   The senior gold has 24 years of backdated history (I got it in 2013 as a green card).  Then I got 3 more cards last year and ended the spree with the discover.  I opted out on-line and no longer get offers in the mail.   I have been app free for over 8 months. 

What would you do with $15,000 cash and $110K debt at 3% (prime -0.5%) interest?  I am single and live in a dive apartment.  I hope to change that this year.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: my problem: considerable cash and lots of debt

Sorry to hear about yor situation and thank you for your services.  If I were in your shoes, I'd save the $15,000 and talk to a bankruptcy lawyer.  That is alot of debt and $15,000 will the balance down but not by alot.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: my problem: considerable cash and lots of debt

I did contact a bankruptcy lawyer but they just want me to pay fees for either chap 7 or 13.  I explained my situation and they could not give me advice.  So I'll stand pat for now until I can get some advice.  I can afford the payments for another year.  So I have that long to make arrangements.  Chap 13 sounds like an option but my hands are tied because of my stepmother who is either dead, unfit or unwilling to contact me.  Outside of that I'm in pretty good shape, all things considered.  Thanks for the reply.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.