Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

nco financial

tag
dezsmama
New Contributor

nco financial

is it a good idea for me to pay OC (sprint) than paying the CA (NCO FInancial) because i received a letter from them saying i owe $1032.32. im thinking abt paying the OC $170 a month for 6 months til its paid off. what do yall think?
Bank of America Privacy Assist Premier
TU - 616
EX - 607
EQ - 600

Hope to be in 700's by the end of 2011
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: nco financial

I would pay the OC
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's what I've been wondering if I should do the same. But what do you do about the CA's collection charges if they come after you? And that they are on a CR?
Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dezsmama wrote:
is it a good idea for me to pay OC (sprint) than paying the CA (NCO FInancial) because i received a letter from them saying i owe $1032.32. im thinking abt paying the OC $170 a month for 6 months til its paid off. what do yall think?

As with everything.....

GET IT IN WRITING!!!!!!!!

If the debt is paid to the OC then the CA disappears. It will likely depend on if the debt has been "Turned Over", or "Sold". I believe if it has been sold the the CA you will have to deal with them. However, if it is only turned over to the CA, the OC still owns the debt and you can make arrangements with them.

Dave
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

im lost.....
I have always been told never to pay anythng that hits a collection agency as it has already done it's damage and paying it will move the DLA forward making it last longer on your credit report. Is this right?
Message 5 of 16
George2037
Regular Contributor

From what I've gathered the only thing that will increase DOL is a Judgement.  If you pay in full to the OC chances are you can get them to agree to back dating the payment prior to original default, but get that in writing before paying it.
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

goingnowhere wrote:
im lost.....
I have always been told never to pay anythng that hits a collection agency as it has already done it's damage and paying it will move the DLA forward making it last longer on your credit report. Is this right?

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm not exactly.  Please read the Credit Scoring 101 thread at:

If you don't pay CAs, your risk is that they will sue you, win, get a judgment, and then garnish your wages or bank account.

If you pay a CA, the DOFD does not change, but you are correct that some sleezy CAs will illegaly re-age the debt.
Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

George2037 wrote:
From what I've gathered the only thing that will increase DOL is a Judgement.  If you pay in full to the OC chances are you can get them to agree to back dating the payment prior to original default, but get that in writing before paying it.

Here's a useful thread:

I'm not quite sure what "DOL" means -- are you referring to DOLA which is date of last activity?

If you have an account in collections, what matters is the DOFD -- date of first delinquency, or when you stopped paying.  An account in collections sits on your report for up to 7.5 years from DOFD.  If a CA gets a judgment against you, the judgment sits for 7 years from date it is filed.
I can't imagine an OC "back dating" a payment.  You are correct, if they agree to something, get it in writing.
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

dezsmama wrote:

Call the OC. They will let you know if they still have your account info. If they do not then you must deal with the CA.

OC has account....ask if you can set up payment arrangments. Also ask if you pay ontime will they agree to delete. If they agree ask them to mail you a letter stating this. (make sure the letter states amount to be paid & that they WILL delete) If they will not delete...make payments anyway. BUT get it in writting!!! It will not change you DOFD but it might change your SOL.

Once you have the letter from OC stating that you can make payments...file disputes with all CRA that have the CA on your report. NEVER NEVER be late on payments it will void the letter!!!!
Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had NCO contact me about a Directv account. I DV'd them and they sent a letter stating the account is closed with them and I should contact Directv about this account.
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.