cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need help- trying to up credit score w/ mortgage and should i ask for higher limits

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

need help- trying to up credit score w/ mortgage and should i ask for higher limits

Hello all
this is my first time posting and I have several questions. Ps. I have learned tons on how to handle my credit and the characteristics of people above 800 and 720 is what I am striving for.
My scores are 660, 672, and 663.

Here  are my questions. in 2005 my dh and I financed a 2nd mortgage/equity line to pay off debts. the amount was 25000. However, because at the time my score was barely 600 we left my name off of the mortgage (and the first also). Anyway, from day one I have made all the payments and can prove it- because I had direct pay from my bank account set up.

Within a few days we are trying to decide whether to refinance the 1st adn the second together- or just the second, but definitly get my name on it.

Also here are the next questions- in the meanwhile will asking my couple of CC to raise my limits hurt me before we take out the loan or will it even hurt after.

I owe 20000 in student loans, payment deferred right now, 800 on a 5000 chase card (I am an authorized user) 50 dollars on a 300 limit CC and otherwise have 4 other CC with nothing on them.

Can anyone help me as I seriously don't know what to do. Especially whether to just refi the 1st and 2nd together or just do the 2nd separatly.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: need help- trying to up credit score w/ mortgage and should i ask for higher limits

A CLI would only help you. Now if they want to do a hard pull and you have quite a few already the pull may ding you.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: need help- trying to up credit score w/ mortgage and should i ask for higher limits

So when I call and ask for a CLI should I ask them if they do a hard or a soft pull?
Thanks for posting so quicklySmiley Tongue
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well some companies will tell you they will only offer you a CLI if they pull your credit 1st. That's a hard pull for sure but it wouldn't hurt to ask if the inquiry thing has you worried.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Because we will be refinancing one way or another definitly within the next two weeks I k
didn't know if a hard pull would lower my score before we went to apply.

Do you know?
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

1 pull by itself won't hurt you. But if you have 6-7 already on the CRA that they pull from then yes it easily COULD cost you a couple points. If you have under 5 I would say it won't bother you at all. 5-10 probably a bit. More than 10 and yes very much so. This is within the last year not the # TC gives you which is over 2 years.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.