Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

newbie with lots of questions!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

newbie with lots of questions!!!

hello everyone im new to the forums and glad i found them. so heres my story..... i made some dumb choices right after i graduated from high school and ended up with a few charge offs on my credit report. ive never been able to get a cc for yrs now until recently. i got one with hsbc that helps repair credit  and i have two store cc that i was shocked that i got approved. ive taken care of 2 charge offs and was wondering if i can get them deleted from my credit report. there is also one that im paying on in payments every month. by me pating my chare offs does that help any way. im only 23 yrs young and i want to fix my credit for when my husband and i decide to buy a house later in the future. im also an authorized user and some of my hubbys accounts. does that help as well or no??

the next part also is that unfortunately my husband is in the same predicament. we have some open cc but closed a few and entered in dmp program. i did the research on it and its certified by the bbb. does that make a difference?? how can we fix our credit altogether?? thanks inadvance.....
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: newbie with lots of questions!!!

Unfortunately once you pay, it's very tough to get paid collections removed from your reports. Paid chargeoffs may, I stress may, be a bit easier to get removed.

It is for this reason I say that one should NEVER pay collections or charge offs, unless you have to or you get a PFD.

A paid collection or chargeoff isn't any better than an unpaid collection or chargeoff. Don't worry, you'll hear contrary viewpoints very shortly.

You might have to pay it because you're still under the SOL and they are handing it off to lawyer to file suit. You might have to because you're buying a home and qualify for a prime mortgage.

If you have any unpaid collections or chargeoffs, I would attack them first. Find out the SOL in your state.

URL Edited

Being an AU generally does help, but some companies won't report AU status. If they are, then yes it's a positive--so long as the TL remains positive.

Sorry if I'm clueless, but what is dmp program?

Message Edited by Tuscani on 06-13-2007 12:18 PM

Message Edited by Tuscani on 06-13-2007 12:18 PM
Message 2 of 9
Boswd
Valued Contributor

The damage is done when accounts get charged off / sent to collections so paying them off isn't going to bump up your score, maybe a little bit if the collection agency was reporting each month and that will stop since it has been off.  But it is good in the fact you have paid them off for your own personal sake ( you elimnated a nagging debt out of your life and no longer have to deal with CA anymore) 

Paid in Full   V.   Settled for less amount  has become something of a debate on this board.  I personally subscribe in the idea that Paid in Full always looks better than Settled for less.  This goes without saying that you can afford to Pay in Full either upfront or with a payment plan.   To some future potential lenders, they may not give a darn  but to alot of others it does look better to them.  And in some case in may be the difference in percentage points on a car loan or mortgage.Also,depending on the amount you settled on you could have to pay taxes on it anyway.  But it also depends on your financial situation,  in some cases it just maybe better to settle if you can't afford to pay in full.   but I always like to advise if you have the means to pay it off in full  why take the risk of what some lenders might frown upon or not. 

As advised by the other poster, if you are currently going to try to get a charge off/ collection resolved, try to get Paid for Deletion from your credit report.   They can be very difficult to get but some have done it through hard work and being very persistant.    Also though, you have to realize that you just may not be able to get one and you have to know when to just move on and just get it paid off.  Totally refusing to pay them will put you at risk of being sued for judgment and then can garnish your wages and seize your bank account.  

For the ones that have been paid off, you can try a good will letter or some have even waited a while like 6 months to a year and disputed it on their report.   If the creditor or  collection agency doesn't verify or doesn't get back to the CRA, it will be deleted.   I have heard that when disputing a Credit Card, the best time is to dispute during the Christmas season, I guess they are too busy to try and look up an old charged off account.   And with Collection Agencies,  I've heard during tax season, since that is their Christmas to them to try and get people to pay from their refunds and are too busy trying to get the newer debts collected then to waste time looking up an old paid off account.

but the one thing you have going for you is you are young and like everything else time heals all wounds, the same applies to your credit.   Just keep your debt to a minimum,  don't take on too many credit cards, and use them wisely and SAVE SAVE SAVE, get an ING account or something like that for your future.  I hope this helps  and good luck.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Knowing the SOL on a debt is one of the most powerful bits of knowledge you can have. CAs and OCs can and have filed lawsuits against people when the SOL had already run. If you don't answer the lawsuit, they can get a default judgement.

When you know the SOL, then you know what the OC or CA can and cannot do. When you know the SOL, and it's expired, you can heave a big sigh of relief that they cannot sue and get a judgment if you are willing to fight. Honestly, it's not that hard to do.

PFD isn't handed out automatically, but it also isn't a hen's tooth. I would be suspect of ANY written offer sent to you by a CA, and I would press with a PFD letter of my own.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Noah_Bodie wrote:

Sorry if I'm clueless, but what is dmp program?

DMP = debt management program.  You pay a company to negotiate your interest rates down, you pay them a lump sum monthly amount, and they pay your creditors.  In theory.  Some of them make you cut up all your cards, and you're not even left with an "emergency" card.

I think you're better off doing it yourself.  Otherwise, you have to pay the company that does the DMP, plus you have to keep checking to make sure that your payments are being credited to your accounts.  If you're going to invest the money and time running around, might as well do it yourself and not pay someone else.  Just MHO.
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Echoing what masdeocho said.

Cannot tell you how many posts I've read over on CIC that begin, "I've been using <fill in the blank DMP>, and now my credit is in even worse shape." You can do it better yourself, and the DMPs (like the Credit Repair agencies) often don't get it right.

Just as some of the CAs and JDBs like to adopt very official and legal sounding names, some of the DMPs and Credit Repair agencies do the same thing. CCCS and Lexington Law are probably the two more famous, or infamous, examples.

If you're in one now, I'm inclined to say cut your losses and bail on it.

I tend to lump DMPs and Credit Repair agencies all in one bucket. Net effect is usually the same for the consumer. Bad.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

DMP....what an appropriate acronym for that plan. They are basically Chapter 13 without the court. You're telling creditors "I can't manage my own finances so I have to be babysat." I called one of those "non-profit" debt management companies about 6 years ago, before I got hip to the credit thing. The first thing they asked for was $1500 payable at $500 a month for 3 months. This was their "fee." So no negotiation would even take place until they had lined their pockets. Luckily, I figured out that you can do the EXACT same thing on your own....and I'd venture to say, with better results. Cash talks. Don't even call creditors if you don't have some funds. If you have 30% or more to throw at a bad account, take a stab at it. The worst they can say is no. In my experience they usually come back with a counter offer wanting a bit more, so factor that in. They like to feel like they are in the position of control. Fine, play along. Don't forget the PFD like these gentlemen mentioned. Do everything in writing, and thoroughly scrutinize any settlement offers for proper wording, dates, account numbers, etc. Make sure they say specifically what they promise to do, what your obligation is, and a timeframe for each party to fulfill their end of the deal. It works.

Message Edited by devhip on 05-03-2007 03:44 PM
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

You are absolutely right. Lenders look at credit counseling as one step short of BK and it will make your scores go down.
Message 8 of 9
Pants
Regular Contributor

"If you have 30% or more to throw at a bad account, take a stab at it. The worst they can say is no"

That doesn't sound like a DMP to me. That sounds like a Debt Settlement Company.

With a DMP you pay back EVERY AMOUNT YOU OWE.. 100%... Not 30% or 40% what you describe. There are NO BREAKS with your balance.  Only break you get are lower rates and a slightly lower minimum payment.

Also there are no heafty up front fees with a DMP. DMP's can only charge the maximum montly fee allowed by law. Laws vary in each state. Usually the fees range from $15 to $35 per month.

True. A lender may view a DMP about as bad as a bankruptcy or even worse. But you are not suppose to apply for revolving credit while on the program. The lender may view the applicant as someone who is already maxed out on credit lines and can't afford minimum payments. Some lenders will ignore it.

DMP DOES NOT affect credit score at all. Only thing affected on your credit report is a possible notation from your lenders saying something like "Account is managed by a DMP or credit agency.

Debt Settlement Agency will rip your report to shreads. Avoid them at all costs.

Message Edited by Pants on 06-13-2007 01:53 AM
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.